I really need to know what this is(FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS)

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
I have been fighting with this vermit in my barn all spring and summer. I cant kill or catch it. I tried everthing from poison to live traps. It has eaten baby chicks up to 7 weeks old and small banties.. Any thing that is adult standard will not touch.There is a cement floor in the barn. But i digs under and makes new holes in the weak spot threw the floor. Or in corners. ect. Here is a picture that i took this morning of the hole. It isnt a big animal. What do you think?and suggestions on how to capture it?I have eggs in the incubator and i need a spot in the barn for them. But i cant ,not until i catch this this. Because it will eat them all. Thanks.Click on picture to enlarge.

Last edited:
How big is the hole? Did it eat the whole chick or just parts of it. Weasels usually eat only the area behind the head.
Can you secure hardcloth to the bottom of the floor to prevent entry? Maybe put hardcloth down and then add another layer of cement, patio block or brick. Check Craigslist for free bricks or block.

Last edited:
I'd get a box large enough to keep the chickens away from the hole, and set a large rat trap , baited with a piece of meat, right at the entrance hole.
I usually drill a small hole in my traps and attach some wire to stake it down so they cant drag it away

Looks to me like a 'possum is digging under your wall. We've lost more hens to 'possums than any other predator. If it's safe to do so, set a leg trap (or a kill trap) at the opening just outside the wall. You won't necessarily need to bait it. We caught about 15 'possums in one month. I could not believe how many there were after our hens!

Let that JRT at it he'll take on a grizzly and win! Seriously keep it out would the best place to start e.g. hardware cloth, electric fence, or concrete what ever will work best for you!
Secure the birds then control the pest, but sorry for losses.

Back
Top Bottom