I really need to know what this is(FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by adorable, Nov 25, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have been fighting with this vermit in my barn all spring and summer. I cant kill or catch it. I tried everthing from poison to live traps. It has eaten baby chicks up to 7 weeks old and small banties.. Any thing that is adult standard will not touch.There is a cement floor in the barn. But i digs under and makes new holes in the weak spot threw the floor. Or in corners. ect. Here is a picture that i took this morning of the hole. It isnt a big animal. What do you think?and suggestions on how to capture it?I have eggs in the incubator and i need a spot in the barn for them. But i cant ,not until i catch this this. Because it will eat them all. Thanks.Click on picture to enlarge.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont fill in the hole. Make a snare right over the hole. You might catch it. Youtube "rabbit snare" it will show you how to make them.

good luck

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Yes i did that. I just makes another hole to come and go.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Rat? Weasel?

5. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    do you see any kind of tracks. maybe a coon?

6. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    How big is the hole? Did it eat the whole chick or just parts of it. Weasels usually eat only the area behind the head.
    Can you secure hardcloth to the bottom of the floor to prevent entry? Maybe put hardcloth down and then add another layer of cement, patio block or brick. Check Craigslist for free bricks or block.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd get a box large enough to keep the chickens away from the hole, and set a large rat trap , baited with a piece of meat, right at the entrance hole.
    I usually drill a small hole in my traps and attach some wire to stake it down so they cant drag it away

8. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Looks to me like a 'possum is digging under your wall. We've lost more hens to 'possums than any other predator. If it's safe to do so, set a leg trap (or a kill trap) at the opening just outside the wall. You won't necessarily need to bait it. We caught about 15 'possums in one month. I could not believe how many there were after our hens!

9. That is a Ground Hog. He is trying to get a hole into your nice warm enclosure.

They are extremely hardy and strong and they will have holes everywhere.

10. muttly

muttly Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    wasatch mtns.
    Let that JRT at it he'll take on a grizzly and win! Seriously keep it out would the best place to start e.g. hardware cloth, electric fence, or concrete what ever will work best for you!
    Secure the birds then control the pest, but sorry for losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by