I received 5 new chicks

Welded galvanized wire, heaviest guage you can find. Im not sure we're thinking of the same thing. Poultry wire will keep birds in, but it wont keep predators out, is it possible you are confusing the two very different materials.
I believe that @DobieLover was thinking of this:
everbilt-hardware-cloth-fencing-308226eb-64_1000.jpg

Is that what you were thinking of?

Welded galvanized wire, heaviest guage you can find. Im not sure we're thinking of the same thing. Poultry wire will keep birds in, but it wont keep predators out, is it possible you are confusing the two very different materials.
That's exactly it. The welded galvanized hardware cloth with 1/4" openings is not strong because the gauge the manufacturers use is too thin. I've never been able to find anything stronger than 23 gauge and that pretty thin stuff!

1/4" HC tends to be very flimsy and weak. I've read of dogs running right through it.
1/4" HC tends to be very flimsy and weak. I've read of dogs running right through it.
Thank you so much for the information, being new at this I can use all the help I can get. I have built my own chicken coop and closed in their chicken yard from top to bottom, but now I feel like I need to go back at it and double enforce it even more to keep them safe.

Back
Top Bottom