I received an unexpected education last night.

yes. I found her facial expressions very moving. In the beginning, when she talks about her father, she remembers with such love, and pride. It is written across her face and brings tears to my eyes.

I am fascinated by this story, as the behaviors described are... incomprehensible. I imagine finding my own father as she found hers, and wonder how I would have felt, and what I would have done.

I am awed by the power of her words.

Last edited:
I have a pretty solid routine every evening.

I’m usually in bed by 8:00; I read or spend my time learning about chickens...whatever. By 9:00 the light goes out, and I saw lumber until about 5:00, and everything starts again.

Last night, something different happened.

I went to YouTube searching for chicken calls...you know, what does a chicken alarm sound like, etc etc. and I wasn’t paying close close close attention as Muffin had just hopped on the bed as it was time for her bedtime. (Muffin doesn’t care if I snore.). Here’s Muffin:View attachment 2225635

So, I turn back to YouTube. There is a close up of an older woman’s face. Her voice is soft with a slight accent. I don’t remember her name. I spent the next 6 hours listening to her story. You see, she was a Holocaust survivor. She was being interviewed, I believe, so that stories would not be lost of what happened. The “eyewitnesses” stories.

It was past 4:00 am when it finished. It has been years since I’ve had a ‘white night’ like that. I don’t think I will forget it for a very long time.

So what was the education I received? The interviewer asked the last question... something like ‘what would you like to pass on to people.’

After everything she had been through, she said something like be polite to other people, be gracious... and she spoke of the freedom just to live.

Her name was Helen Colin (I looked it up.)
How kind of you to post this. It brought tears to my eyes - a reminder of how simple kindness is so important - especially in these times of division and anger. Thank you very much, I will watch the interview too. And by the way, I love the picture of Muffin! My own boy sleeps with me in bed too. How old is Muffin? She does not seem to be a young cat.

I have a pretty solid routine every evening.

I’m usually in bed by 8:00; I read or spend my time learning about chickens...whatever. By 9:00 the light goes out, and I saw lumber until about 5:00, and everything starts again.

Last night, something different happened.

I went to YouTube searching for chicken calls...you know, what does a chicken alarm sound like, etc etc. and I wasn’t paying close close close attention as Muffin had just hopped on the bed as it was time for her bedtime. (Muffin doesn’t care if I snore.). Here’s Muffin:View attachment 2225635

So, I turn back to YouTube. There is a close up of an older woman’s face. Her voice is soft with a slight accent. I don’t remember her name. I spent the next 6 hours listening to her story. You see, she was a Holocaust survivor. She was being interviewed, I believe, so that stories would not be lost of what happened. The “eyewitnesses” stories.

It was past 4:00 am when it finished. It has been years since I’ve had a ‘white night’ like that. I don’t think I will forget it for a very long time.

So what was the education I received? The interviewer asked the last question... something like ‘what would you like to pass on to people.’

After everything she had been through, she said something like be polite to other people, be gracious... and she spoke of the freedom just to live.

Her name was Helen Colin (I looked it up.)
Be Polite, Be Gracious, Live Free!

Not a bad lesson to pass down!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom