I removed a HUGE growth on wattle (graphic and GROSS)

Laskaland

ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
Nebraska
Anyone have an idea? I had left it go for quite awhile because it wasn't bothering her, but this week I have noticed her struggling to drink.
This was her wattle- it started out swollen and gradually expanded. So, I basically cut the "thing" off, dubbed her wattle. It was hard to avoid her neck, but today she is bouncing around. I notice I didn't get it all, but at least she can drink and eat today.
Is it cancer? A cyst? Just not sure. There is some weird thing sticking out, hard, looks like wood actually or a horn, lol.
Any ideas would help.

13982_017.jpg

13982_016.jpg

Man that think is HUGE! Maybe that thing sticking out is a thorn or something and it started the whole problem.......of course I can't say if it's cancer or not, but I'll bet your chicken is saying THANK YOU MAMA!

Good job!

Let me tell you, I was freaking out!! It did have a smell to it. I thought at first that thingy was a thorn too, but it grew as the wattle did, which makes me think it was something else.
No idea.
Just glad to take it off. Wonder if I am the only one with such a freaky chicken? LOL
Thanks
smile.png

Christina

Bless you for having the guts to take it off! I don't know that I would have been able to, but I bet she is glad you did. I have no idea what the heck that thing could be, yukky!

A couple of things to consider - Chronic Fowl Cholera and Mareks. Cornell University yielded the following info that might shed some light:

In the case of Fowl Cholera, this chicken would probably have experienced mild to severe respiratory symptoms in the past (rapid breathing, mucous discharge from eyes-nares-mouth, weight loss, diarrhea, etc) but appeared to recover. Those that survive the acute infection or a mild strain of the disease will sometimes get a localized infection of the wattles, sinuses, foot pads, wing and leg joints. I looked through a number of photographs of swollen/abscessed wattles due to FC and at least a couple were similar in size and shape of the one removed from your hen. The chronic form of FC may clear up in 3 to 4 weeks or may persist for years. Interesting footnote - the swollen/infected foot pads from chronic FC can be misdiagnosed by the layman as Bumblefoot, an infection due to injury rather than infection due to disease (FC).

The other possibility - Mareks Disease - has been likened to "chicken cancer." One manifestation of the disease causes lymphomas (tumorous growths). While it is most common for these tumors to be visceral, some cases exhibit involvement of the epithelial cells of the skin resulting in raised and roughened feather follicles or tumorous growths such as your hen exhibited.

Then, of course, as Sigmund Freud once opined, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." The growth you removed may have been an abscess/infection due to an undetected injury. For the layman, it's just a wild guessing game. I offer this info not to unduly scare you into believing that your hen has one of those dreadful diseases, but only to suggest that it is possible. Since both FC and Mareks are highly infectious, and infected but surviving birds can be carriers, it might be worthwhile for you to consult your personal Vet or your State Veterinarian about the growth you removed.

WOW! that is amazing that you did that. I know if I had to then I would do this but you impress me. That thing looks pretty mean to me. Is there some way you could have it biopsied to see what it is and make sure it isn't something bad. Maybe it was some kind of infection that stemmed from a past injury like someone said but I don't have a clue what it could be but I bet that hen is thanking you everytime she sees you.

Kudos to you!

Impressive! Did she struggle as you were removing it? It looks like it really must've hurt! Or did you use some kind of chicken anesthesia? In any case, kudos to you for having the guts to remove it.

Quote:
I would think Mareks would spread to other girls. I've had her almost two years, but it could be. I am hoping freud was right, lol...
Hugs and thank you
Christina

Back
Top Bottom