I rescued chickens They have very little feathers on their backs.

jesslattimore

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
I just received 12 new chickens. Not sure how many are roasters. They are missing feathers on their back and have no tail feathers. I'm pretty new to this. I have never had any issues with mine in the past. I need help.
he.gif
I also seen one of them pick a feather off another and eat it.
idunno.gif
I will post picts when I get my camera to work.

Thank you in advance
Jessica from ks

welcome-byc.gif

If they are rescue birds, then they came from a battery farm, where the birds are often cramped together, and a lot of feather picking takes place. They should have some beautiful new feathers in a few months, provided they get plenty of good nutrition!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

The barebacked chickens you got - are they adults? Were they in with a rooster or two, three more?

This time of year, is the start of winter molt. Many, many chickens look like something drug them backwards thru the dirt and are missing tail feathers. If a hen was in with a rooster - the bareback is from breeding - maybe the rooster is young and eager, or clumsy or there can even be too many roosters. Plus, when it is time for molt - the feathers are "old" and often brittle so they break much easier.

Make sure your feed has a good protien percentage - protien is needed for feather growth and also egg production. Do not be surprised if the girls do not lay when in the middle of their molt - the protien will be routed to feather growth.

Yes they are in with roasters. I will separate them out tonight. How do I check for lice or mites? How do I treat them if they have them. I feed them a laying feed and a flock block. My old ones have always done fine.

Thank you all for the help.

Jessica from Ks
love.gif

Jess, If yours were in over-crowded or poor conditions like mine were when I rescued them, they will likely fill out in a couple of mos. Rule out the lice or other critters by lifting the feathers up to look for bugs & the local Tractor Supply (or like) stores will have powder to treat the feathers with. With better conditions, more room, better nutrition, etc, they should be fine in time. And getting them away from the roosters helps. Are you planning to have chicks; is that why you kept the roosters?

Back
Top Bottom