I saw it being laid

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
It's not our first egg, but it's the first one I have ever seen being laid. When I saw her go back to the coop, I knew she was going to lay an egg so I pulled up a chair to watch. It took about 20-30mins from the time she climbed in the nest box to when she actually laid it. She took her time rearranging the shavings and even getting more from outside the nest box to make it perfect. She sat there for quite a while while her face got pale, then red, then pale again. Finally she stood up and her tail dipped a few times and there it was! Pretty cool!

That is soooo cool!!!!! I can't wait till my girls start laying. My roo started crowing yesterday!!!
D.gif

So yours was quiet? My ladies make such a production out of it I'm glad I live in a rural area! They get in and stand there a minute screaming at the top of their lungs: "Excuse me! Excuse me!! Hello?? I am now going to lay an egg! I repeat I am now going to lay an egg! I would like your attention please!". So everyone watches and she'll do her thing and then let everyknow she's done. Then the next hen hops in the box and tries to out do the first one!

We saw one the day before yesterday. The coop door rest on a stack of concrete blocks when opened. My hen jumped up on the concrete blocks being concealed from the rest of the yard and preceded to bear down. My son ran in and said tell me when she's ready and I'll catch it. Here it comes, plop right on the concrete block she dropped a BIG double yoker. It cracked but did not break. I let it cool off and then I boiled it and put it in my salad for dinner
smile.png

man,, i wish mine were quiet,,, they start by mouthing off to my big roo,, he goes in and makes a nest for them,, the whole while their STILL cackling , then they lay,, make 1 big cluck,, then the roo screams like he just laid it,, then they come out and brag bout it. :|

Nope, she was very quiet about it. She tends to be noisier before she gets in the nest box. Once there, she might chatter or cluck a little, but no yelling.

i was walking by my ole RIR 1 time,,,looked at her,,said, "what in the world is wrong with you?" ,, reached down to grab her,,,she made a fast turn,,,and i was like,,,,,what is that!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :| ,,, i didnt eat eggs for a week.
hmm.png

would have been different if i knew in the begining what i was looking at :eek:

I love speaking to them as they set, and last weeks got to see the bloom dry from the heat of the egg, as she stood over it, proud , so proud...I like that they want me around for this, I had heard it could be a 'private matter'.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom