I screwed up and didn’t quarantine- now what?

slou

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 16, 2009
we just got 5 new chicks to keep another pullet (whose 3 sisters were all killed a few days ago, I posted about it earlier and am so heartbroken) company. Unfortunately I was so eager to get her some new friends that I combined them right away and it was a total disaster : (
Our solo pullet is 12 weeks old and the woman who sold us the new ones said they were 7 weeks which was the oldest (non adult) chicks I could find right now.
They have a barrier up in the cage but my older girl is so aggressive to all the new chicks. Plus I didn’t separate them to quarantine before combining them. I feel awful, if I lose this last girl of the original small group of pullets I will be beyond heartbroken.
Is there anything I can do to minimize infection at this point? What are the chances something will go wrong health wise?

Honestly, I wouldn't want to raise a lone girl for the minimum two week quarantine. It's not good for them to be alone. Check the new guys' poops to make sure they look normal, check their eyes, keep the area clean, and keep an eye on the situation.

What was the seller like? Did she let you visit her farm and was it clean? Can you check to make sure that there's no little parasite hangers-on?

I'd put up a screen (fine mesh) between them until they get used to each other.

I too have been down to one very lonely chicken and because she was so lonely, had to take the risk of waiving quarantine. While I am not promoting this path, in this case, as those have mentioned above; probably best now just to separate them with some wire for a couple of weeks so that they can get used to each other and be company for your lone gal.

Depending on how long they have already been together, the horse may already have bolted per say and if there is going to be any damage, already done. Do not feel bad though, you were trying to do right by your lonely gal and chances are, all will be OK.

Quarantine is moot now that they've had contact....
...but separation for the first step of integration is still a good idea.
Hopefully your setup is big enough to make 2 separate but adjacent and protected spaces for them to get used to the others.

Here's some tips....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

we just got 5 new chicks to keep another pullet (whose 3 sisters were all killed a few days ago, I posted about it earlier and am so heartbroken) company. Unfortunately I was so eager to get her some new friends that I combined them right away and it was a total disaster : (
Our solo pullet is 12 weeks old and the woman who sold us the new ones said they were 7 weeks which was the oldest (non adult) chicks I could find right now.
They have a barrier up in the cage but my older girl is so aggressive to all the new chicks. Plus I didn’t separate them to quarantine before combining them. I feel awful, if I lose this last girl of the original small group of pullets I will be beyond heartbroken.
Is there anything I can do to minimize infection at this point? What are the chances something will go wrong health wise?
You'll be ok just separate them. They need to be acclimated so they can see each other, but not touch. Some of my hens are slightly aggressive so I kept my chicks separated - but still able to see - for about 2 months. When I let them all mingle with no walls there was not 1 fight or issue. Also you want to make sure your chicks are at LEAST half the size of your other hen.. preferably the same size. The chicks will be able to defend themselves then or at least run faster. They will eventually all be ok.

Honestly I think there is too much of an age difference right now I would let the 7 week olds get to around 10 weeks before they enter a pecking order ordeal even if it's just 1 older hen pecking because she is almost twice there age
I had chicks 3 weeks apart and had to wait for the little ones to catch up size wise because a dominant older hen could establish pecking order for a week or more before easing up on the little guys. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom