I screwed up big time

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7cutechix, Aug 22, 2010.

1. 7cutechix

7cutechix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I had a poor hen yesterday being picked on, feathers missing above her butt, then bleeding. I immediately ran to the Blu Kote. I had used it before they layed but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, I had to separate her as it did not stop. I've read the last 3 years worth of posts....can I eat the eggs? If not, I guess she just stays separated forever??? What is the latest on eggs and Blu Kote, PLEASE.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I think if you weren't supposed to eat the eggs it would have said so on the container. I've been using it and eating the eggs [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We've eaten the eggs after using it...no problems, still here lol.

4. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i thought anything topical doesnt make with holding eggs required?

5. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I've been eating mine! I am not hurt, I don't think! [​IMG]

I am mine hurt eating! not think I , been I've don't! LOL
    boogedy boogedy boo! [​IMG]
    God bless!

6. 7cutechix

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I have been on every page I could google "Chickens Blu Kote" and am getting all different answers. I have an email out to my AG extension office person, I want to see what the "expert" advice is! So confusing.... more people than not eat the eggs, but maybe not the meat...I'll let you all know what they reply! Thanks!!

7. 7cutechix

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I'm not getting any answers from the "experts"...Is there anyone who may have spoken to a vet or someone who knows about this from a trusted source? I still have the poor girl in her own crate. Well, they may still pick on her as she's not healed but I don't know how else to know what is her egg.
    Anyone???

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Of all the things to worry about, BluKote contamination is so far down my list it isn't even on the radar. I used to use it on dairy animals all the time. Think about it. How much BluKote, if any, could possibly be in an egg laid by a hen who had a topical application of BluKote? It may interest you to know that until not many years ago the active ingredient in BluKote was the treatment of choice for vaginal yeast infections in women. Now compare the amount of BluKote that would be absorbed through the vaginal wall with what you could get from an egg from a treated hen. How could it possibly hurt you?

9. 7cutechix

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Thanks for all your help....I really appreciate it! I feel better about it now...I put her out to free range and they didn't peck her. I'll use her eggs again. I spoke to a few chicken people my extension office referred me to. Was told by one guy "if it was bad, we'd all be dead by now".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by