I set eggs today! **LOCKDOWN** Chicks are hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggieterpkatie, May 19, 2010.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    At 12 AM this morning I set 5 dozen eggs! I set all my own eggs..barnyard mixes. I had a horrible hatch (3 out of 36) last month, so I put a fan in my bator and now I'm trying again!! Wish me luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. SunChick

SunChick Songster

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Good Luck! I just set 10 eggs between 2 broodies and another 20 in my incubator...expecting mille fleur d'unccles. June will be a busy month.

3. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    I have one broody with five that are hatching now and another broody to hatch with five more in 2 weeks.

4. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Good luck to both of you!! I just set 6 eggs under a broody on Monday. I need to hurry up and mark those eggs before she steals more. [​IMG]

5. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    [​IMG] good luck to all!! [​IMG]

6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, I have to say this hatch *seems* to be going much better than the last one so far!! This is my first time incubating after I installed the fan, and the temps are much more steady!!! I candled on day 7 and had to toss about 5 eggs. They're due next Wednesday! [​IMG]

Oh, and I also had to put in 4 eggs I took from an irresponsible broody hen. Those eggs are due at the same time or just before my eggs.

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Wow...that's a lot of eggs to hatch...what do you do with all the chicks? Keep them or what? I would love to have more but my coop will only hold 28 birds.I have 15 already...6 on order and thirteen in the bator due on the 8th.I will have to get rid of some roosters later...which is gonna be hard....

8. SunChick

SunChick Songster

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Well 10 of my BLRW eggs made it to lockdown, today 2 have pips. My broodies took out 6 of the 10 eggs (d'unccles) I set, I think we have an egg eater :[​IMG] I am probably going to move the rest of them back to the bator now that the BLRW eggs are in the second bator. I just have a bad feeling they will fight over the chicks and I don't have a cage to grab one of the broodies and put her in by herself. I already hear cheeping from the BLRW eggs and the d'unccle eggs are going into lockdown on saturday. PHEW! and I can't stop thinking about what else I can get myself into...lol

9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:I plan on selling these! I *may* keep a few if they're interesting looking, but I have 13 adolescent birds just joining the flock.

10. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: