I shampooed my chickens butts with oatmeal/aloe shampoo for dogs

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
seems It worked nicely chickens had a lovely spa day and they look extra fluffy , I just wanted to know if anyone else uses dog shampoo on their chickens? I was going to use baby shampoo but cant find where i put it

seems It worked nicely chickens had a lovely spa day and they look extra fluffy , I just wanted to know if anyone else uses dog shampoo on their chickens? I was going to use baby shampoo but cant find where i put it
Yes, today is butt cleaning day and I’m using Burt’s Bees oatmeal shampoo with colloidal oat flour and honey for dogs. Then a diluted colloidal silver rinse. Keeping this little “places” clean! This is the first time I’ve done this… let the party begin!

Yes, today is butt cleaning day and I’m using Burt’s Bees oatmeal shampoo with colloidal oat flour and honey for dogs. Then a diluted colloidal silver rinse. Keeping this little “places” clean! This is the first time I’ve done this… let the party begin!
Are your chickens butts nasty?

If they are you should figure out why and do something about it.

Are your chickens butts nasty?

If they are you should figure out why and do something about it.

only occasionally , if they get into my berries bushes . i have them up high and covered but sometimes they still find a way. they go a couple months at a time just fine and then they start to look messy. i have the english orps with an enormous amount of fluff feathers skirting their sides and behinds . they have to twist themselves into a yoga position in order to poop without messing their feathers. 😁

Last edited:
For pasty butt I've only just used a warm water soak to soften it and then I rub it off (with gloves on). Soaps of any kind strip the natural oils from the feathers. But they will preen themselves and coat their feathers with the natural oils again. Since you only do this every few months and it is a safe shampoo for dogs, I think it should be perfectly fine. If I used any soap, I would use the blue Dawn dish soap.:)

Back
Top Bottom