I should have said no way!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Steven Bussell, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    My wife has wanted chickens for many years.
    Well I figured two years ago I would build her a low budget coop using mostly reclaimed materials.
    I spent almost a year researching chicken's and their special needs.
    I just accidentally found you guys 3 months ago. I have learned more in 3 months from just cursing BYC than all the other research I have done .
    Long story short. Me being me. I when way over board. Way over budget. I wired it with a light and plug inside it. Thanks to you guys I'm able to now justice it to my wife .
    I have a porch light . Hay loaf and storage. But because of you guys I'm able to show my wife that they are a must have. Insulation in roof and walls. It was 96 outside and only 85 inside. Thanks again to BYC i was able to install ventilation that I haven't thought was important.
    I have never raised chickens or ducks.
    And because they are relying on us I believe I need to become educated on the does , don'ts and could happen.
    Her wants has became my passion.
    We are now responsible for 5 chick's and 3 ducklings.
    They just turned 2 weeks old!!!!
    I'm almost done with the 160 gal filter system for the 50 gal pond. I'm trying to filter and reuse every gal of pond water while keeping a clean and clear pond. Want water I do have to drain will be pumped to our garden and trees.
    Thanks for allowing me to become part of a great community.

Attached Files:

2. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC forums. Hope to hear more about your project. This is also my first years with laying hens, and I find the great people here on BYC are willing to give all kinds of good advice - although maybe conflicting at times. So I just go with what I think may work for my location and needs.

3. What a terrific hubby you are! That's a nice looking coop, too.

4. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us! Beautiful coop and awesome job!

5. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    WOW! Welcome to BYC. I'm impressed with what you've done! I do hope you write up your coop and share it in our coop articles.

6. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @Steven Bussell ! welcome to BYC :frow
    how lucky your chickens, ducks, and wife are!!!

7. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! Looks like you've done very well, even 'uneducated'. Your wife is a lucky lady!

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Nice job on the coop! Chicken's are addicting, and I think that you will make a good flock master too!

9. starri33

starri33 Crowing

Feb 28, 2016
    Golden Valley AZ
    :welcome To BYC, in the research I did before getting chickens I was finding all of my information here :) something that I've found to be really helpful is finding the forum in my own state.. AZ, the ladies and gentlemen there have been a great source as they know the challenges of our area, desert where it can get to 110 or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: