I somehow only hatch roosters

Fullcrazy

Chirping
Oct 3, 2015
I tried incubating this year. First batch was rough, the Guage was off and I didn't have a 2nd one in there. 2 hatched, 1 was picked off by a fox (we lost about 15 this spring, in a few days, but the run is sorted now) the other is a nice little roo. Second hatch went well. Some sex link, and random other barnyard mixes. Out of the sex link ones, 5 were roos and 1 was a hen. In the fox issue, I lost the hen and 3 little roos. I've got 10 chicks about 10 weeks old, and I think they are all roosters. I'm 11/11 roosters. It's just absolutely insane that I won't get a single hen from these hatches! It makes me wonder if hatching eggs even makes sense, or if I should just pay for started pullets.

Attachments

• 20200804_145419.jpg
    20200804_145419.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200804_145428.jpg
    20200804_145428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20200804_145518.jpg
    20200804_145518.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
I tried incubating this year. First batch was rough, the Guage was off and I didn't have a 2nd one in there. 2 hatched, 1 was picked off by a fox (we lost about 15 this spring, in a few days, but the run is sorted now) the other is a nice little roo. Second hatch went well. Some sex link, and random other barnyard mixes. Out of the sex link ones, 5 were roos and 1 was a hen. In the fox issue, I lost the hen and 3 little roos. I've got 10 chicks about 10 weeks old, and I think they are all roosters. I'm 11/11 roosters. It's just absolutely insane that I won't get a single hen from these hatches! It makes me wonder if hatching eggs even makes sense, or if I should just pay for started pullets.
Ignore the very obvious roosters in the back of the top picture, those aren't in question at all 😂

Three of the four in the center photo are definitely male, the other one probably is. The others all look male too.

You seem to have hit the jackpot on bad luck. I've had individual hatches that were heavily tilted to either male or female. I've had years that close to 2/3 of what I hatch are one sex or the other. I usually hatch around 45 chicks a year for comparison. Some individual hatches may be 80% one sex or the other. I once got 7 out of 7 pullets on a straight run order from a hatchery. Odds against that were over 100 to 1. That's what each hatch is, it's just odds. I would not waste money on a lottery ticket if I were you.

A few times I've totaled up my hatches over a two year period, around 90 chicks. it's always been really close to 50-50. But that doesn't tell you anything about what your next hatch will be.

Every single duckling I’ve hatched up to this point has been male... lol. Finally in this last batch it appears I have only 2 boys out of 6 though; eventually it evens out, if you hatch enough of them. Haha!

I use broody hens and usually just buy them sexed chicks at the feed store. Its a win/win as they get to raise babies, the chicks are incredibly happy with a real mama, and I get to add the gender/breeds I want with no guessing.

This year with the chick shortage I bought 3 chicks from a local breeder then let my bantam hatch out 4 of her own eggs (she is a first time broody). That netted me two bantam pullets and FOUR extra cockerels. Sigh. I am keeping them all but won't be buying unsexed chicks or hatching out any eggs for a very long time.

Last edited:
It's just a part of nature. I usually end up pretty even when I hatch eggs. I think this year it was actually 6 females and 2 male's this year but my hen I let hatch ended up with 2 and 2 and we'll see what my current broodies have in a few weeks

I like getting the boys.
I don't buy sexed chicks because I know what will happen to the cockerels in that group.
Every new cockerel is a joy to me.
I'm eagerly waiting on my two young cockerels to start crowing.

However if you're only getting cockerels - it would make sense to get some sexed chicks to even it out a bit.

Three of the four in the center photo are definitely male, the other one probably is. The others all look male too.

You seem to have hit the jackpot on bad luck. I've had individual hatches that were heavily tilted to either male or female. I've had years that close to 2/3 of what I hatch are one sex or the other. I usually hatch around 45 chicks a year for comparison. Some individual hatches may be 80% one sex or the other. I once got 7 out of 7 pullets on a straight run order from a hatchery. Odds against that were over 100 to 1. That's what each hatch is, it's just odds. I would not waste money on a lottery ticket if I were you.

A few times I've totaled up my hatches over a two year period, around 90 chicks. it's always been really close to 50-50. But that doesn't tell you anything about what your next hatch will be.
I've never had more than 50% male, and it's
I use broody hens and usually just buy them sexed chicks at the feed store. Its a win/win as they get to raise babies, the chicks are incredibly happy with a real mama, and I get to add the gender/breeds I want with no guessing.

This year with the chick shortage I bought 3 chicks from a local breeder then let my bantam hatch out 4 of her own eggs (she is a first time broody). That netted me two bantam pullets and FOUR extra cockerels. Sigh. I am keeping them all but won't be buying unsexed chicks or hatching out any eggs for a very long time.
I've used broodies before, but I didn't have a broody, so used the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom