I spy with my two eyes... RATS

Get yourself a Jack Russell/Parsons Russell Terrier FROM WORKING/RATTING STOCK and they will keep the rat population down to ZERO!

Heck, even my big dogs kill rats but the best ratter, better than a cat? is a Rat Terrier or Jack Russell.
thumbsup.gif

Yesterday I dropped the hint to DH that he can't get another dog (RIP Molly) until the whole property is fenced. I am dreadfully allergic to dogs, cats (as I type with one on my lap), probably chickens too. So next mutt is an outside dog - just lucky DH NEVER reads BYC!

The closest Molly ever came to ratting was tag-teaming with the two cats one day with a rat. Then there was the time I scared up a mouse and she stepped on it and couldn't figure out where it went.

Good luck with the rat ridding. We are still trying to get the stank out of the garden shed. I've used strong bleach solution in hot hot water with Dr. Bronners soap. Helped, but still quite noticable after airing for several months. Next step we're considering is spray painting the whole inside with white paint to seal the unfinished wood.

We had a terrible problem with rats last year. It got so bad we would watch (live cam) them take over the barn as soon as I shut the lights at night. At first we tried live traps and most nights would catch a minimum of three to five rats per trap. Even with four traps set up throughout the barn, it wasn't enough. DH (unbeknownst to me) set up a closed box with one-bite. All the sudden I was finding dead rats everywhere! DH finally admitted to the poison. As much as I hate to admit it, it worked in the barn. In the banty coop (an 8 x 10 shed) we moved the chickens out and he hooked up a hose to the tail pipe of the car and gassed them. Again, it worked and seemed more humane to me than poison.

I have a mouse problem being taken care of by 3 RatZapper units. I think it's humane, as it kills 'em with electricity from batteries. No squeal, no poison, no partial dismemberment or disabling injuries to the mice - or rat. After the kill, there's a little red light on the top of the unit which blinks, so you know it needs to be emptied.

don't be bother about the rat. Just do some action if it do bad on you. some rats just don't harm any things.

I have to go along with the dog idea.

Hay rats and field mice have always been a big problem at our farm. We used to use Purina Assault poison, which worked better than any other poison we used. But still, it only made a significant dent.

Our neighbors have chihuahas and we watched one "doggedly" (pardon the pun) try to dig something out of a heavy piece of metal in our pasture. We finally turned it over for her and sure enough there was a big hay rat straddling two pieces of metal underneath trying to keep out of the dog's way. That dog grabbed the rat like grease lightning, end of rat. So I would think any type of small, superactive dog, like chihuahas or rat terriers would be a great asset.

We don't see the rats and mice at all anymore, but we know at least a few mice are still around because we still do see some mouse droppings but nothing like we used to. The only change has been the addition of our two English Shepherd dogs. The funny thing is they only go to the farm with us on weekends. I've never seen them catch a mouse or rat, but I'm pretty sure they do from time to time when we are inside or leave them alone. I suspect the smell of my intact male spraying here and there has caused them to pack their bags and leave too. Whatever the change is, I am grateful.

Just some ideas....

Our two Min Pins handle most of the small vermin. Up to the coons, who will eat the Pins up.

Our Rhodesian handles everything from the field mouse to the coyote.

Rats never get a chance to populate here.

We use "HAWK" place packs which keep us Mouse/Rat free,
Which is a problem in late fall when they are looking for a warmer climate.

just my .02

Back
Top Bottom