1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I squeezed an egg out of my chicken...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Camelot Farms, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Yesterday my Serama pullet was sitting by her pen door looking sort of lost and forelorn. So, I reached in and picked her up. She looked at me funny and just let her head hang back like she was stunned.

Hm. Weird I thought and went to put her back down. Just as she got her feet on the ground...PLOP. Out popped her very first egg!

I have milked cows but never squeezed an egg out of a chicken... til now. [​IMG]

2. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    that has happened to me on many ocasions!
    one hen of mine whenever she needs to lay an
    egg and i'm around she comes and sits on my lap
    and lays her egg and the just walks off as
    if nothing had happened!

luke.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    [​IMG] Chickens are funny!

5. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    As I scanned down the main page list of forum topics and then made my way through I couldn't wait to get to this post. I love true confessions... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. ProductionRed09

ProductionRed09 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Kodak
    I am now going out to my coop and I will squeeze all the freeloaders and see if eggs pop out of them...I have 40 freeloaders [​IMG]

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    OMG!!! It is like you are a the "hitter" for a loan shark!!!!

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    LOL that is funny! I have this splash marans I hatched from bishopschickens, and she is the FUNNIEST hen ever. I will go sit in their run on an upside down tub and she will come and give me that cockeyed look and I will pick her up, hug her like a big puppy dog, pat her on her back like we are long lost buddies, cup my hand over her comb and shake her head gently, tug a few times on her tail and just generally harass her for a few seconds, then toss her down about three feet away. She turns around, comes right back, and if I ignore her she will sometimes hop up on my knee and give me more angled looks until I do it to her again. She is not egg squatting when I do this, so it doesn't seem to be breeding behavior, she just likes getting "vigourous" loves from me, LOL. I REALLY like that pullet and hope to raise some more like her pretty soon! She's the best. Glad your gal got that egg out. The first one's probably the hardest I would think, all things being equal. That doesn't count for double yolkers and some of those butt busters I have seen posted here on BYC.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hey, I've done that too!

I was checking my BR because she just didn't seem right. While I was holding her and checking her over, I hear this plop sound. I looked down and she laid a soft shelled egg. (it was her 2nd egg)

Then I put her down and grabbed the egg as fast as I could, since the others were on it like flies on manure. So now I had warm, gooey egg running through my fingers.

10. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    OK, I'm heading to the coop right now to do some squeezing! We've joked about this for months, but I never knew it worked! [​IMG]

*runs off with crazy glint in her eyes*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by