I started them in the incubator today! 6-20-12

Amanda Patrick

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Indiana
I started a few eggs in my incubator today, i wish i would have started this sooner than waiting on someone to send me an incubator. I only did the most recent eggs and that was 11 eggs only. 2 of my brothers IB and the rest are my BS PIED. but i am not sure if it is normal... i finally got my temp to 99.5 and humidity was 62% and it was constant for hours and after i put the eggs in, one hr later the temp was 96 and humidity 70%.. i think its just because of the eggs. And this time i am keeping a journal of all readings.

70% humidity is a bit too high. You should aim for 50%-60%. Then up it a little when the eggs hatch. Good luck!

Last year was our first year incubating eggs. We hatched 38 or 40 eggs (only 2 duds) and were flying high on our laurels - came crashing down this year!!! Put 24 eggs in on May 30th and today June 20th was the hatch date and we have only one little guy hollering his head off. He actually hatched yesterday a day early. I've candled and I really can't tell from that. Broke some opened that had only a dark spot and they were runny yolk and smelled bad. One I broke open was a full chick but no movement - dead. I am so discouraged. Our Bator temp was constant at l00 but the humidity was 60 and maybe that was too high? Thoughts anyone?

i know 60% is for peafowl. i think chickens is suppose to be 50%ish. what were your eggs? and i am sorry about your loss but at least you have one! i hope the rest hatch for you!

I just set 12 eggs in my brand new homemade incubator tonight and have 10 more under 2 broodies. Good luck with you hatch!
big_smile.png

I just set eggs this morning, I'm gonna try dry incubation this time. My Bator stays at 20% humidity without any additional water, which is supposed to be the minimum. Good luck, :]

I'm doing a dry hatch in the bator because the humidity is always so high here in Missouri already. I'm pretty excited! It's going to be a long week until I can candle the eggs to see if any are developing.

Back
Top Bottom