I Sure hope I'm wrong

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jharvey1309, Oct 29, 2011.

1. jharvey1309

jharvey1309 New Egg

Aug 28, 2011
    So I bought 8 Three week old chicks some time ago and have raised them to 18 weeks old. I now believe that I've been raising 8 roosters :-( I was also told that they were barred rocks but now as the start to feather out more and more they are geting orange speckling within there feathers so they are not pure barred rocks either. that being said I think they look quite lovley and we plan on keeping one rooster and sending the rest of them to the freezer as 24 weeks. We were hoping for a few hens in the bunch but I don't see any as they all look like they have saddle feathers. Could you kind folks take a look and give your opinion? Two birds have slightly smaller waddles and short tail feathers but the rest have huge tail feathers with beautiful emerald feathering in the tail.

Thanks for looking

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I see hens and roos. I'm not an expert on purebreds, but I do see orange in your chickens, and my Barred Rocks have no orange. Maybe someone else on here can tell if your chickens are purebred or not. Hoped I helped somewhat.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    All roos and not BRs. Sorry! [​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    At 18 weeks not one of them CROW? Im not the best guessers but they all look to be hens to me. No huge plumage no real thick legs .

5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I do not know for sure, but the one in the 5th picture does certainly look like a rooster. Some of the others look like hens and some others are a toss up. I guess that since you waited this long you may as well wait until they crow or lay eggs.

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Doesn't anyone see the saddle and hackle feathers? Definite roosters! [​IMG]

7. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I think you got a load of black sex link roos. [​IMG]

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:x2

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All black sex link cockerels. The seller should have been aware of this fact. [​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Black Sex Link males indeed. Either the seller was ignorant or deceptive. Either way, caveat emptor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by