I suspect this is a boy

Tikka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Which is too bad, as we will have to get rid of him one way or another. We got these chicks Wednesday, and it is now Saturday, so they are at least 4 days old and maybe more than that, but this chick doesn't have as much wing feathering as anyone else in the batch.
First off there is the comb, and it is the tallest chick, having come from being smaller 4 days ago.
42013_sany1026.jpg

There is also the matter of legs. The chick has a very upright carriage, and his legs are noticeably larger. When he sits on his heels, the heels extend back the length of the tail (When I say heel, I mean the "knee" that is posterior). Though this chick does have a shaved bum (probably was pasted at the feed store) so maybe I'm imagining it.
42013_blair.jpg

Is that one of the chicks you have listed in your sig? If so it looks like a typical black star pullet chick. With the sex linked chicks there is little chance for a mistake. The girls are all black, and the boys are black with a white dot on the head. I think it's a girl, and you have nothing to worry about!

Last edited:
I can't make out any rust colorings on the chest area, but you may be right. I wouldn't be able to tell the sex at this age anyway, except for the behaviors at times. I would not believe it to be a cockeral.

The prevailing theory now is that it is an older chick whose wings were clipped so it didn't look so old at the feed store. I know that being a black sex link, there really shouldn't be a mistake, but maybe it's a mutant! I'm glad to hear what the difference should be if it were a boy.

Back
Top Bottom