I swear I am never going to get fertile eggs!

melissastraka

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Hoquiam, WA
My Golden Seabrights are just not getting the job done!
he.gif
I understand that it is possible for a banty to fertilize a standard right? Well, if this is correct mine have a low *$@ drive. I have 40 hens, RIR, BR, BO, SLW and BSL all in the coop together with 2 roos about 6 months of age. What is going on? The fluffy butt girls i havent trimmed yet so that is my fault but the others i would think would be more then happy to have a male after them.
hu.gif
Any ideas on what would help please. I am just short of taking out a radio and putting on Barry Mantalow!
hide.gif

They might be young or they just might not be able to get the job done. I have a bantam cochin that can successfully mate my BO girls. I also have a bantam game roo that thinks he is mating them but aims too high every time. My breeds are slowly being put back into their different breed coops but that is what I witnessed when they were all running around together.

I am thinking too young and not enough roos for all those hens. We have all standards but have 2 roos to 22 hens and have 100% fertility. I would think 2 little roos to 40 big hens would be a lot of work for them. Have you found any eggs that are fertile?

Last edited:
I think the hens may be too big. My Golden Sebright roosters can even touch vents with my Black Australorp. Maybe if they balance right but 80-90% of the time they can't. I'm sure if they keep trying they will.
wink.png

Well it was about 8 months before my BO rooster starting getting the job done. My BR went to freezer camp about that age and I never saw a single one do the dance...
I would go with the young factor. Even if they are fooling around they may not be quite "ready" yet....

Back
Top Bottom