I think a bear ate my chicks

apoker

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I had about 25 large chicks some were a gift and some were rare black combed and black tounged in a small run made out of 1/2" hardware cloth panels. Something was strong enough to not only crush the frames but rip through the hardware cloth and osb house I had inside I only found a smashed one legged bird under the run and one wing close to the run. I have seen a number of feathers in different areas. My son and I have searched through the poison oak hoping to find chicks we have found no survivers. I live quite close to yosemite. Do you think it was a bear and if it was do you think it will be back for the adults?
[/IMG]

I had about 25 large chicks some were a gift and some were rare black combed and black tounged in a small run made out of 1/2" hardware cloth panels. Something was strong enough to not only crush the frames but rip through the hardware cloth and osb house I had inside I only found a smashed one legged bird under the run and one wing close to the run. I have seen a number of feathers in different areas. My son and I have searched through the poison oak hoping to find chicks we have found no survivers. I live quite close to yosemite. Do you think it was a bear and if it was do you think it will be back for the adults?
[/URL]

Wow!! Can't think of anything else that strong, so has to be a bear. If it knows the adults are there, I would say there is a strong possibility of it returning. I hope it doesn't for your sake (& the chickens)... sorry for your losses
sad.png

So sorry for you losses.....
hit.gif
It looks like a bear did it! I'd keep looking for chicks though. Maybe you'll find some...

Last edited:
I am going to look right now. I just have to be thankful that I have a wonderful place to live and my son is fine. I think he will use this as a reminder that this is not the city

I would say bear also, but that hole in the hardware cloth is a bit small for bear...maybe a mountain lion? I know Yosemite area does have them..just thinkin' . So very sorry for your losses!
hit.gif

OMG!!!!! I agree it must have been a bear. What else would have that kind of strength. With all the crazy climate change and many animals losing what is normally their food which is disappearing because of the lack of water, I'm guessing you had a bear attack which may not have been the case a year or so ago.

In my experience, once an animal finds food, they come back for more. It sounds like you had a very strong pen for your chickens. You'd have to really build a fortress now.

So, so, so very sorry for your loss. I know from experience how divesting and painful this is .

Geri in Northern California

Back
Top Bottom