I think I accidentally killed my baby chick

MedievalUnicorn

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2022
We had a baby hatch the other day from a mom that tried to eat him, so of course I took him away and he was doing so amazing! I had grown so attached to him. He was all alone so my mom bought some baby chicks from Rural King to keep him company, they were about a week older than him. Well yesterday it was really hot in the shed that I keep them in and so I turned off their heatsource for a little while because it was just TOO hot with it, telling myself that I was going to go turn it back on before bed. I forgot and woke up to my little hatchling baby not opening his eyes, so weak and he died in my hand. I'm absolutely devastated and I feel absolutely horrible.

I'm sorry, I just really had to get that off my chest with people that may understand.

That temperature wasn't cold enough to have killed him. Please don't blame yourself. It's more likely he was bullied by the older chicks, or they brought a disease with them, or sometimes chicks just die with no explanation. :hugs:hugs:hugs
I definitely kept an eye out for bullying because I was worried about that and they seemed to not bother him, but of course I wasn't there all of the time.

But thank you, I really appreciate the kindness.

Back
Top Bottom