I think i am a turkey, but...

Noclucks2give

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
My blue cochin has taken an extreme liking to my female red bourbon turkey (they were raised together) can anyone tell me if squid is boy or girl? We estimate the age around 10 weeks. Squid doesn't crow or strut but I have a rooster who keeps everyone in line and wondering if squid is laying low.

Has anyone else had experience with a chicken thinking it is a turkey? Our turkeys will go to roost in trees and squid will roost with them... Until I catch all of them and put them to bed, squid seems to have no interest in the rest of flock besides the two bourbon reds (m&f).

I am raising three turkey chicks 2 narragansett (m&f) and a single female chocolate; will there be difficulty assimilating them to my flock if the turkeys (and squid) have formed there own flock outside of my chickens?

Before anyone jumps down my throat blackhead is not common in my area and turkeys and chickens roam the land together.
20210701_203352.jpg
20210701_203345.jpg

20210701_203401.jpg
20210701_203356.jpg

I'm no expert but I'd lean towards cockrel. I also have my Tom with my chickens and was just reading up on blackhead. No judgement :) mine has done great with our chickens. He lost his hen a few years ago and we really need to get him a new girl.
I moved him in with my chickens after a dog attack and he is a lot less lonely with the chickens around :)

My blue cochin has taken an extreme liking to my female red bourbon turkey (they were raised together) can anyone tell me if squid is boy or girl? We estimate the age around 10 weeks. Squid doesn't crow or strut but I have a rooster who keeps everyone in line and wondering if squid is laying low.

Has anyone else had experience with a chicken thinking it is a turkey? Our turkeys will go to roost in trees and squid will roost with them... Until I catch all of them and put them to bed, squid seems to have no interest in the rest of flock besides the two bourbon reds (m&f).

I am raising three turkey chicks 2 narragansett (m&f) and a single female chocolate; will there be difficulty assimilating them to my flock if the turkeys (and squid) have formed there own flock outside of my chickens?

Before anyone jumps down my throat blackhead is not common in my area and turkeys and chickens roam the land together.View attachment 2743878View attachment 2743880
View attachment 2743863View attachment 2743876
Boy for sure!

Could it be a maran mix? I have a Black Copper Maran Roo about his age and he looks incredibly similar (other than coloring of course)
Might have some in there. Might have some Cochin in there. It definitely has something with a beard and different comb type in there though. It has a modified comb and a beard.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am new to the game and thought the feathered feet implied cochin. He is a handsome fellow and a sweet bird but rather dumb... Any suggestions on how to get him to integrate with chickens? Any chance my main rooster has him to timid? I have 19 hens for 1 rooster then the turkeys.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am new to the game and thought the feathered feet implied cochin. He is a handsome fellow and a sweet bird but rather dumb... Any suggestions on how to get him to integrate with chickens? Any chance my main rooster has him to timid? I have 19 hens for 1 rooster then the turkeys.
Young males can be pretty timid even get picked on by the pullets or other roosters. Once he matures he will become more confident and get more respect from the girls. Very handsome boy!

Back
Top Bottom