I think I am done with Babies...No more Heartaches Please! =(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bec, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I just lost my second baby today [​IMG] She drown just like the last one did, but not the same waterer. This was a pretty shallow one that I thought the babies would be fine with because it was shallow. I was wrong...AGAIN. This was my last little EE baby. I think from now in IF I get babies, I will be raising them in the house with me, not with a broody. That poor Momma hen has now had 2 of her babies drown....She must be so sad [​IMG]

I was just thinking about maybe hatching out some more, but I have completely changed my mind now. Every time I think I improve to make it safer, something bad happens...

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [​IMG] Sorry for you and the momma.

3. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    So sorry to hear about your loss. If you dont mind I would like to make a suggestion. Try using the type of waterer that the chicks can only fit their beaks in. These are a plate that you screw a jar or plastic jug into and come in many different sizes. I use these with my brood hens. Some brood hens have the best intentions but dont make the best mothers. Some scratch at the ground and send their chicks flying through the air behind them. Some will even run around in a thunder storm with drenched babies falling behind and some will step on a chick and hear it screaming but just stand there and look around for a predator and cackle as if they are clueless of the chick under thier foot. In other words not all hens are good broodies and I have had chicks drown in shallow dishes from the mothers standing on them in the water. I have never had this issue with the waterers I suggested. Try checking at the local farm supply store.

4. greenesacres

greenesacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Kentucky
    I use smooth rocks or marbles in my waterer. Has worked for me every time!

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I know how bad you feel but dont give up. [​IMG] Talk with your local feed store and see if there is something your can alter or make yourself for water. The other option as always is a brooder. Try again, it's worth it! [​IMG]

6. Bec

I was thinking I should go get the 3 gallon waterer, the kind that screws onto the base, then I thought..nah, it is plenty shallow. Should have gone with my gut instinct. [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh Bec, I am so sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

Don't give up, it's a hard learning curve but worth it.

8. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    It's sad now, but try again, and soon! You'll be that much more appreciative and happy when you succeed. Without sadness, we wouldn't appreciate happiness.

Suzy

[​IMG]

9. Bec

Thanks guys [​IMG]

10. justonemorehatch

justonemorehatch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Sorry you're having such bad luck. Hugs

I second the marble or smooth rocks in the water. It seems to encourage them to drink better the first few days. As well as keeping them from drowning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by