I think I am done with Babies...No more Heartaches Please! =(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bec, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    AWW well, if your ready for more eggs I could send you some [​IMG] I have D'uccles and a LOT of mixes. Here are a few pics of my babies I jsut hatched from my eggs. The black one is from my EE hen and cochin boy. And the brown one is a D'uccle (Mille Fleur) Let me know if your interested. I will send you a few for free. I feel so bad you lost your babies [​IMG] And someone did the same for me after losing my four hens to a dog so I'm paying it forward [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. welovechickens

welovechickens Songster

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Oh, I'm sorry about your 2 babies! [​IMG] Don't give up.....I've raised many baby chicks myself, and had loads of fun! It is a lot of work doing it yourself, but very worth it. It's very gratifying to have a group of chickens climbing into your lap because they think you're their mommy. [​IMG]

3. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Songster

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Dont give up. Everthing has its ups and downs. I bet next time you will do just fine. We have all made mistakes but took the lesson with us onward. I ordered an $80 chick order once and put them in a box in the bathroom for a few days as I felt it was to cold to put them out in the brooder. One morning my 2 year old got up before me and somehow got the bathroom door unlocked. When I opened it he proclaimed he gave the baby chicks a bath as if he did something good. All the chicks had been in the toilet and laid out in the tub. All were dead and my son did not know any better. I blame myself for not heariong him get up. My heart sank and when I went to work later that day found my company had closed the doors forever. Then I couldnt afford to replace the order. I'm still raising chicks and enjoying them though.

Someone on here also did me a favor and sent me a dozen eggs for free that came from a rare breed that the average price for a dozen is $40.00. All I paid is the shipping and it really brightened my day as I really wanted them and could not afford to purchase the eggs. They are in my bator now and she had no idea about my chicks drowning. It really brightened my day. What great people on here and what an awesome person. If you would like I will do the same for you. Just PM me for details.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Bec, i did not see this earlier. so sorry hon! [​IMG]

i'm speaking blessing over you right now for better times!

5. lilychemgirl

lilychemgirl In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    I would third (or something?) getting a proper waterer. We have never lost a chick (from three lots), and you can buy them really inexpensively. (the bell kind where there is only a rim around for them to drink from).
    Hope you have better luck next time! I can imagine how sad it is to lose chicks, when I thought my favorite hen was being attacked I rang dh up in tears at work, I am such a chicken lover, lol.
    Lily

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Thank you all! This really is a place full of special, caring people! [​IMG]

It was very sad to only see 2 running with Momma [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:bless your heart today, Bec!

now, it may be 'only' two, but they made it and are doing well. start saying it like this, 'I've got Two! Woo hoooo! Two beautiful fluffies running with their momma! Twooo!!!!'
    keep saying it until your heart gets the feel.

i'll be thinking of you today! [​IMG]

8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Dont feel so bad. I have mine IN the house, and my little one nearly drowned in a pickle lid. A PICKLE LID, mind you!!

Dear hubby got her out, it was late at night, he saw her when he got home, he dried her off and she was ok.

NOW she is three days old, I thought she was safe, so I have starting putting a peanut butter jar lid with mash in it, its a little deeper, (waterer is still the pickle lid, i just fill it all the darned time), and I looked at her this morning after I fed them.

All I saw was the runt AGAIN, in there covered in wet mush on her back and shivering to beat the band...AGAIN. And she HAD been doing so well. She fell on her back in there and must have not been able to right herself.

So I had to take the blow dryer for over thirty minutes to heat her up. I think she has a death wish. I even have marbles in both of them? A pickle lid is what? 1/16 deep?. She wasnt in danger of actually drowning from either one, just getting soaked enuff to get chilled. [​IMG]

Just saying, there is just no way sometimes you can keep them alive unless you sit there and watch them 24/7, which is impossible.
    They sure are prone to trouble, so sorry about your lil baby chicks. Its so hard and we blame ourselves when that happens. Hugs to you.

Jill

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. wyndski

wyndski Songster

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I am very sorry about your babies. I have a very small chick and when it first hatched I was afraid that might happen. I have one that the jar fits on and it is shallow, but still you never know. I put river rocks in it, the flat smooth rocks you can get at walmart in the craft section.

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hi Bec, I hope you are doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: