I think I am going to cry...

rashashea

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
sad.png
I just got home from work and checked my incubator and the temp was maxed out at 120... My daughter says she checked it an hour ago and it was at 102 but she is only 10 and I am so upset. Did I kill my babies. We are only at day 3 and they are silkies I ordered.
Please help..
Rasha

You won't know for sure unless you keep on incubating them....try to keep the temp at what is best for your incubator...candle them at day 7, look for veining and the embryo...should be visible with a candler/flashlight and a dark room....fingers crossed for you...

Hey there - You already know the results by now I would imagine, since you posted a couple weeks ago, but for future knowledge, the earlier in the incubation that the temp spikes, the better chance you have of the embryo surviving because of the water content of the egg and the humidity. The water has a buffering effect and chances are, if you caught it quick enough, the actual embryo, suspended within the watery white, covered by two membranes and then the shell itself - may not have suffered as severe a temp elevation as you would fear.

This is a catch 22 though, because the embryo is most fragile at this point so I would say you probably lost most. Please let me know what happened. I am thinking you should get about 1 out of 5 to hatch, or 20% success rate for your total clutch.

Back
Top Bottom