I think I am quail obsessed ~ I cant stop making cages

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BooneHillbilly, Jun 8, 2010.

1. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Here are 7 out of the 15 I will be building this week. My hand hurts aling with my back but they are turning out pretty good. They are 24x24x12.. I am thinking 1.5 or 1.6 per cage should be ok.. I just hope my eggs hatch..
    [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Well, if the cages get in the way, I'll come take some off your hands! What are you cutting your wire with? And what are you bending your wire with?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Was Just Gonna Say "heck While You're At It..." [​IMG]

4. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:I found a groovy pair of spring loaded wire cutters at lowes.. They are super confortable but the J clip pliers are killers.. I am bending with a hammer and a 2x4...

JJMR794.. I love ya man I just dont think I can do it...lol

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    :)Got to show these to DH.

I'll be locking down tomorrow and I'll brood them in the house until I can't stand them, then to the grow out cage which is done. But I still need breeder cages. I think that size would be good for a male and what 4 hens, 8 hens?

How many are you planning on putting in there?

I think I'm getting Quail fever, too. I want about 6 or 8 different Breeder colors to play with, and mine haven't hatched yet. It's going to be bad, I can tell. Thank goodness, DH is a patient man.

I looked at that stack of cages and could almost see quail in them.

6. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I found some crescent brand compound wire cutters that are great for cutting wire and saving wear and tear on the hands. I don't know why they dont make those j clip pliers with better handles. Even the expensive ones, although better, are still hard on the hands.

7. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ill put 6 or 7 in each one.. Thats the pliers I have are the cresent brand, they are alot better then the j clip pliers of death...lol

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    [​IMG]

these are what I use for cutting 1 X 1/2 with and everything else too they are pretty nice my local home depts ,Lowes carries them

9. jenjscott

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have found these the best, short of spending 30+ on a pair that looks like bolt cutters

[​IMG]

10. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:You gotta get the padded ones. They are more expensive, but they don't hurt your hands. If you are using the ones with the flat handles covered with thin plastic, they will eat you alive after a while. With the thicker padded ones, you can go all day.

UGCM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by