I think I figured out what kind I want

porkchop48

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Malta, OH
After pondering over this for a few weeks.... I think we want to go with the RIR or the barred rocks...

We are looking for a good eggs layer ( brown egg preferrably) and also a meat chicken... Would either of those work for that?

And it is possible to have a couple silkies in there? OMG they are so cute.

why not get the best of both and get a black star (they are a cross of the rir and br) they are also called black sex-links. i have 4 black stars and they lay like crazy and are nice big birds and are very sweet. one of mine demands a kiss on her comb every night
big_smile.png

I have parent stock rir roo and 4 br hens all hens lay an egg a day once twice a month we miss a day but its a different hen each time so min of 5 eggs oper day including the 2 rir hens. I saved up the eggs and hatched out the star or black sex link and got a mix bag 50/50 roos and hens but the roos grew fast and I got 20 for the freezer and 16 hens laying an egg a day. yep they all need their attention as I raised them with help from my 9 year old so they are all spoildddddd so bad, but we enjoy them every day. just hatched the 3rd batch and cant keep them all the neighbors wanting them (live in an subdivision) and every one is ok now that they get free eggs. I also have sold several to repeat people replacing their flcok with my black egg layers. So far all of my cross are black with either red or white chest and the roos all looked like br so it was easy to seperate them right after hatching.

i have Buff Orpingtons & love them!! great birds, you can't go wrong with them
big_smile.png
i dont have any personal experience wi/RIRs but friends of ours have them and they're not the nicest birds around. the one good point in their favor is that they make decent meat birds. as for barred rocks, i never had any so no comments there.

The Rocks will be a great choice. They love to range and eat economicly. Orps are pigs and need alot of food to make a good caracs. RIR are OK but some can have a mean streak. The hybred and sex links will not work if you wish to eat them, too light weight. Sussex would be another breed to look into as well as Wyandottas, Buckeyes, Delawares and New Hampshires. All are good for both egg and meat.

Buff orpingtons and Barred Rocks...

OK rir are out... I don't necessarily need a chicken I can cuddle up with but would prefer not to get attacked.

Do Buff's take forever to grow as well?

Thanks for the help guys.
big_smile.png

Black star/Black sex link is a good multi-purpose hybrid breed for sure! They'll lay big ol brown eggs, and also are a decent sized bird for meat.

Just don't expect them to go broody for you
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom