I think i found a worm :Z

hendrix

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Hi, i remove my chickens poop from the coop daily. Today i noticed one long thin whiteish worm looking thing in one of the poops. I have had a look on the internet breifly to find out what it is and i think its a round worm. I'm guessing i will have to treat this and that it won't just go away? What are the chances of the other 4 getting it? Do i have to treat the run, coop, nesting boxes? I'd appreciate any knowledge on this subject and will keep on looking it up too
smile.png
Thanks, Melissa.

Quote:
You are correct, it is a large roundworm and THEY wont go away until you treat them with a wormer. If one has them, most likely the others have them as well. As far as your coop, nesting boxes etc...a good cleaning will suffice.
Now, let's get those those worms out of your chickens. I recommend you purchase valbazen (albendazole.) It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer that can be purchased online from Jefferslivestock.com or you can call them. Not many feed stores carry it. It is a little pricy but the 500ml bottle will last you several years and is well worth it because it kills all known worms that chickens can get including tapeworms. I have ordered it from Jefferslivestock before and they ship products real quick.
The dosage is given orally. You can use a syringe without a needle. The syringe can be purchased at a feed store.
Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Repeat dosing in 10 days to kill larva since the first dosing. There is a grand total of 24 days egg withdrawal.

Dawg, I want to thank you for the information. I just treated my flock (initally) with Wazine in the water for worms, and plan to follow up in 2 weeks with Valbazen orally for broad spectrum coverage.

Anyway, your posts in several threads have been most informative- thanks! I've only had chickens for about 2 years now, so I'm still learning as new situations crop up!

Thanks heaps for your replies
smile.png
My local sold me a poultry wormer from aristopet that is given in their water seeing as though i can't catch my lovely girls lol Only problem is the dosage is determined upon Liveweight, and as i just said i can't catch them! So will have to just estimate it. I know chooks can be pretty delicate, by estimating do you think it's too risky? I have 5 adult chooks. 3 x Austrolorps (3kg) and 2 x Isa browns (2kg). It seems pretty crazy but i just dont want to overdose or worst case senario kill them :Z

Quote:
I didnt realize you were in Australia and the wormers I mentioned may not be available there. Perhaps you have flubenvet, here's a link regarding flubenvet:
http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/poultry-medication/flubenvet-used-for-worming.html
Another wormer that is available in Australia is Ivermectin pour on (used for cattle.) Dosage is 1/2ml placed on the bare skin on the back of your chickens neck. Repeat this dosage in 10 days. It must go on bare skin to be absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream to be effective killing the worms...try not to get it on any feathers or fluff, the effects are not known. With ivermectin, there's a 14 day withdrawal period. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom