I think i hatched dalmations😂

I can't wait to see what these chicks turn into. I've got 3 yellow ones. 1 came from what I was told was a blue orpington hen and was either fertilized by a black orpie roo or my old english bantam. The other 2 where brown eggs so either red sex link hens, buff orpie hen or my jersey giant hen. The bigger they get the more spots they get. 😍😍😍😍😍
Awwwwwww. That sounds absolutely adorable. You must post updates.

What a lovely roo.
I'm not sure. I bought a lavendar and 2 black orpingtons from someone as chicks. ( they all turned out to be roosters so I traded the lavendar roo for the blue hen and something got my other black one ☹️ they all turned out to be roosters🤦‍♀️) but here's a pic of Pollux the rooster and Evelyn the hen.

That's the one piece of chicken genetics I really understand -- since I'm working on breeding blues. :D
You have some great looking blues! I hope you'll keep breeding langshan too. Hardly anyone seems to have them anymore. 😕 it's such a shame. They don't especially lay well, but they are friendly, and hardy.

Does your black orpington carry the blue feathering gene? Is he bbs- blue, black, splash?
As someone else said, a black chicken cannot "carry" the gene for blue feathers. If a chicken has the blue gene, they show blue feathers (one copy of the blue gene) or splash feathers (two copies of the blue gene.) A chicken that looks black must be pure for not-blue. The blue gene affects all black on the chicken, but not red or gold shades. So it turns a black chicken blue, or a Black Tailed Buff chicken into a Blue Tailed Buff chicken, or a Black Laced Red chicken into a Blue Laced Red chicken, and so forth.

Lavender (also called "self blue") is different in two main ways.
One, it is a recessive gene. This means one copy of the lavender gene has no visible effect, but two copies of the lavender gene do have a visible effect.
Two, lavender affects both black and red. So black becomes lavender (light gray) and red becomes a cream shade. Examples: Black becomes Lavender, Mille Fleur becomes Porcelain, Black Breasted Red becomes Isabella, etc.

This is goi g to be long but I wanted to post an update on my chicks! (Dalmatians).They're about 9 weeks now. My parent hens are: white leghorn, Jersey Giant, blue orpington, and red sex links. I've got a buff orpington but one was sick and one was broody about the time I collected eggs so I doubt I got any eggs from them. Roosters are a black orpington and old english bantam. I thought maybe some of these could be from my OEB but they're as big as he is at 9 weeks so maybe not😂.
Picture 1 I'm going to assume is a rooster. He's very friendly, comes to me, eats from my hand,let's me pick him up and he sits on my shoulder. He also grabs my hand and does his little hanky panky dance like my other rooster used to so thats what makes me think roo🤦‍♀️. I'm also thinking he's from one of my sex links because what I thought were dirty feathers from being in the horse yard and cow yard seem to be maybe some red coming through?? The second pic I'm not sure if its a hen or roo. I had 1 egg out of this batch from my white leghorn that's the same color as the roo in pic 1. So maybe a hen from my leghorn and black orpie? Only difference I see is the comb and wattle. Pic 3 really intrigues me. This is the only one of this color. It's a rooster for sure because I saw it it crow today. Not sure if this one is from my blue orpie or my jersey giant which I've been wondering for a while now if maybe shes not a true jersey because she's the same size and weight as my orpies. I thought they where bigger? The black one in pic 4 I'm also guessing are from either my 'jersey' or blue orpie and pic 5 looks just like my blue orpie. Pic 6 is a lavendar orpie I'm assuming is a roo compared to the lavendar orpie in pic 7. I got them all from fleet farm or farm and fleet at the same time but I guess maybe they could just be younger idk. Pic 8 is not one of my eggs my Buff orpie that went broody hatched it for a friend of mine that found her hens hiding spot. She's got Ayam Cemani ( I think I spelled it right?) crosses. She thinks by the way it holds itself it a rooster but since I love it and it's the only one that hatched she's letting me keep it so I'm hoping it's a hen. I'd like to know what everyone thinks especially about the roo in pic 3. I'm not too good at chicken genetics my best guess would be my Jersey is not a true Jersey and has a recessive gene that showed in that one? Not even sure if I said that right😂 I'm pretty sure at 9 weeks they're still going to change as they get their adult feathers. I've also got 3 more I hatched july 4th weekend ( I tried a dry hatch did not get good results.) But all 3 chicks are different and I have another batch in the incubator now. I'm excited to hear what yous guys think and how many of my guesses as an ameture chicken identifier are correct!!!!!!!!! 😄

Attachments

• 20220721_073544.jpg
    20220721_073544.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220721_073645.jpg
    20220721_073645.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220721_073720.jpg
    20220721_073720.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220721_073938.jpg
    20220721_073938.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220721_073817.jpg
    20220721_073817.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220721_080137.jpg
    20220721_080137.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220721_080501.jpg
    20220721_080501.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220717_091007.jpg
    20220717_091007.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 3
Yellow with spots like that is usually the result of having one copy of dominant white on a black background. My guess would be those are from your RSLs, as they often have one copy of dominant white as well and should pass it on to roughly half of their offspring. The chicks should be mostly white with black flecks and probably some red leakage as adults.

Cute babies! ❤️
You where 100% right look at how HANDSOM he is😍. He is the sweetest boy too he follows me around in the morning lays on my lap and starts to fall asleep

Attachments

• 20220807_202752.jpg
    20220807_202752.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom