I think I have a broody Buff Orpington?

bridgerview

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
We have a 5+ month old Buff Orpington that I think is broody. Is it unusual to have a broody hen at such a young age and I don't think she is laying yet? When we move her, sometimes the nesting box is empty under her. The other boxes have eggs in them. I am not sure if she is laying yet, my guess is that she has layed a couple small eggs at best. She doesn't like to move, and really growls at you when you try to move her. I caught her rolling eggs under her once to keep them away from me when I tried to move her. I just want to make sure she is broody and that something else is not wrong with her. She seems to be healthy and a little growly when she is out of the box to eat and drink. THanks for any ideas.

When she gets off the nest box to eat or drink, do you notice if she is fluffed up and clucking? How much during the day is she staying on the nest? If she's on the nest most of the day and during the night, she probably broody.

All chickens will roll eggs under them. Some of mine growl, but just don't like to be disturbed on the nest. The key to being broody is being on the nest all day and especially at night.

Quote:
X2

Plus, my Buff Orps seem to take forever to lay an egg. They'll sit in that nestbox for well over an hour before they get up. And when someone is in line, I think they sit there even longer
lol.png

We rarely see her outside to eat and drink. She is in the box most of the day and night (I assume) and when we kick her off, she'll go out and eat and then right back in to the box. I think we may try her as a broody hen and see if we can hatch some chicks with her.

I've kicked her out and she has gone right over to the food and water. I assume she is doing this on her own also. She seems to be in good health other than just sitting on the box all day. Like today she switched from an empty box to a box that had three eggs in it, thats where she was when I grabbed eggs tonight. She was none too happy about losing those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom