Buff Orpington girl won’t leave nestbox in dead winter

I had a hen go broody in freezing temps. Chicks didn't seem to care, they just spent more time under Mama.

Same with brooding in a hot shed in midsummer. Chicks were more active, spent less time under Mama, and she got them out with the rest of the flock earlier.

Having to choose one over the other, I'd choose winter to bypass snake season.

Woah, that sounds scary; snake season! Luckily we have very few snakes in Sweden! I will let her sit on eggs if she goes broody again this winter, I felt so sorry for her when I broke her, she really wanted to become a mama. Just came out of an arctic cold spell here, 5 degrees fahrenheit (-15 c) for a few days but my dinosaur flock has done great. I did however notice them altering which leg they stood on so I clad a few of their roosts with moisture proof padded amluminum mats which they seem to love. I a so done with winter now.

Hi all you smart people out there; I have a 10 month old Buff Orpington girl who spends the entire days in the nest box - in the middle of the coldest winter in years in Sweden - without laying any eggs. She will eventually get up and roost at night, but she runt to the preferred nestbox early in the morning and stays there all day. Today I took her out and examined her, she growled at me, she seems completely healthy but I discovered she has very little feathers on her back as our rooster is gigantic and she is his favourite, so I put a saddle on her and released her back in the coop, where she swooshed right back into the nesting box. What is she doing? Is the preparing to go broody? It’s feezing outside, like several degrees below, so this is really not the time… Is she hiding from our rooster? I am considering selling him to give her some peace and quiet. Have anyone had a similar experience? Thanks!
Blocking access to the laying box after warmer weather returns may break the habit.

Ok, so me again, and she’s back at it! Much better weather now with temps on the plus side so I’ll let her have it. She’s managed to lay TWO of her own eggs in the nestbox today, but I am waiting on a few Silverudds eggs which will arrive on tuesday… So my question is - can I remove her own eggs now (just laid) and put them back under her on tuesday with the other eggs?

Last edited:
Hello. I have 3 buffs now and I like them. They just started laying eggs at 5 months and I noticed one had kind of buried hers. I would like one to go broody. Maybe they all 3 will? My question is if they hatch out how do I feed the chicks? Should I give them the medicated feed? All my hens are healthy. I have rhode island reds also but I can separate them depending on what box she decides to go broody in.

My Buff girl Helen went broody for the first time at 9 months (she started laying at 8 months, mine are English Buffs and they start laying late), and she just went broody for the sencond time now, at 11 months. I will let her lay on eggs this time and if she hatches chicks, I will provide chick-feed for them and medicated water (honey, garlic and apple cider vinegar), but as the mama cares for them it’s impossible to control what they eat.

Back
Top Bottom