I think I have a problem.

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
I have a north eastern wild turkey she is about six years old. She is always up and walking around. But a little while ago I went out to check on them and she was sitting on the ground so I walked up to pet her and check her out and I put her in the barn and she sat back down again. Her eyes are not crusty they are wide open like they normally are and she is not breathing with her mouth open. What could be going on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a north eastern wild turkey she is about six years old. She is always up and walking around. But a little while ago I went out to check on them and she was sitting on the ground so I walked up to pet her and check her out and I put her in the barn and she sat back down again. Her eyes are not crusty they are wide open like they normally are and she is not breathing with her mouth open. What could be going on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am guessing that this is the first time that you have had an adult hen nearing breeding season and that you don't have a tom around. Without knowing more about your situation, I would guess that your hen is assuming the "position" meaning that she is ready to breed.

I have all female turkeys but she is the oldest out of all of them but here in Ohio it is the middle of winter with snow on the ground is it really breeding season. Could her feet just be cold. She is still in the prim of her life.

I have all female turkeys but she is the oldest out of all of them but here in Ohio it is the middle of winter with snow on the ground is it really breeding season. Could her feet just be cold. She is still in the prime of her life.

My nearing 9 year old hen does spend a lot of time laying down but she suffered wounds from a tom with bad breeding habits. Her one year younger daughter is in much better shape than she was a year ago.

Around here my toms are strutting daily but the hens are ignoring them at this time. Usually mating starts here around the last week of January with eggs finally being laid in late March.

Either way I doubt there is anything wrong with your hen whether she is ready for breeding or just feels more comfortable by laying down.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom