I think I have a Roo. Help!

pkgal21

Songster
Jan 30, 2018
North Texas
Here's my 2.5 week old Barred Plymouth Rock. Several pictures just in case. Is it a roo?
IMG_20180305_192536.jpg
IMG_20180305_192424.jpg
IMG_20180305_192501.jpg
IMG_20180305_192516.jpg

My guess is yes, with that much comb development at that age. If it turns pink in the next 7-10 days, you can be more sure of a boy. If it remains pale, you may still have a girl.

I honestly can't tell at this point. If you suspect it's a cockerel, you should probably start thinking about what you're going to do with him once he gets older. Do you want a cockerel? Are you allowed to have them in your area? If you don't want or can't keep a cockerel, your options are fairly limited. Euthanize it, or find it a new home. Maybe grow it out and put it in your freezer. Other than that, there's not much you can do.

I agree with harmony fowl. If his/her comb gets anymore red/pink I'm sorry to say but you might have a roo:hmm. Somthing tells me he is a cockerel(other than the comb) and that mixed with the comb probably means he is.:barnie

I only have one of this breed, so I don't have any others to compare to. Every picture I've found online has me worried this is a roo.

I definitely can't have a roo, but I've been asking around so I can have a plan if it turns out to be one.

I'll be so sad. This is my first flock and I already love this little one.

It looks like a cockerel to me. The comb is the main indicator, and like Hazelbunny I have a feeling that it is a cockerel.
x2 on waiting to see if the comb turns pink.

Back
Top Bottom