I think I have a Roo or two...

tazmarri

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Wellsburg, WV

Two of my 3 1/2 week old chicks combs are coming in completely different than my other three...what do you think? If they do turn out to be Roos, can I keep them both or will they fight? I don't know the breeds, they were purchased from TSC

It doesn't scream rooster but are getting pretty red
hmm.png
. They will most likely fight if they are both roosters and are kept together.

Looks like a silver laced wyandotte, and those legs look really thick, along with the comb reddening. They have rose combs which are different from the 'typical' straight comb. So im going to say cockerel, but its really early

Depending on the number of hens, they might fight or get along. One rooster for every ten hens. I've have roosters together before and the didnt fight since they grew up together.

Last edited:
Looks like a silver laced wyandotte, and those legs look really thick, along with the comb reddening. They have rose combs which are different from the 'typical' straight comb. So im going to say cockerel, but its really early

Depending on the number of hens, they might fight or get along. One rooster for every ten hens. I've have roosters together before and the didnt fight since they grew up together.
Agreed.

x2

X3 on that.

Thanks for the quick replies... I started suspecting a couple days ago when I noticed how distinctly different their combs were. :/ They were also displaying some aggressive behavior when I moved them to a bigger brooder. I haven't noticed anymore aggressiveness and they seem to be getting along now. Hoping because they are being raised together maybe they will get along. I dont have enough room for 20 chickens!! LOL Maybe 10-12 max.

Thanks for the quick replies... I started suspecting a couple days ago when I noticed how distinctly different their combs were. :/ They were also displaying some aggressive behavior when I moved them to a bigger brooder. I haven't noticed anymore aggressiveness and they seem to be getting along now. Hoping because they are being raised together maybe they will get along. I dont have enough room for 20 chickens!! LOL Maybe 10-12 max.
You also have to worry about them overbreeding the hens. They can pull neck and saddle feathers so they end up bald, and my one rooster was breeding so much that he ripped two of my hens skin open. I would just have one rooster with only 10 hens.

You also have to worry about them overbreeding the hens. They can pull neck and saddle feathers so they end up bald, and my one rooster was breeding so much that he ripped two of my hens skin open. I would just have one rooster with only 10 hens.

X2 on that. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. Too many roosters can become very hard physically on your hens and even potentially, seriously injure them.

Back
Top Bottom