I think I have a sick chick. Please help.

MEP2013

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2015
We are brand new to chickens and I am not sure what is wrong. We have six chicks 7-8 weeks.
I noticed last night that one of our australorps was inside the coop while the rest were all playing in the run. Today when I let them out they all went to eat and she stood hunched in the corner of the run. I have been watching her all day and she has been staying in the coop or just standing around in the run. I tempted her out with grapes and she did come out but didn't eat them. I have seen her pecking at the ground a bit but she hasn't touched the treats, water or regular feed. I have noticed when she is in the run she tends to just stand hunched over usually with her tail down. I haven't been able to really look at her poop and her crop looks normal size. Right now she is roosting alone in the coop while the others are all out and about.
Does anybody know what could be wrong if anything and what we should do?

So now I realized that her tail actually has the feathers ripped from it. I have noticed her nibbling at herself but I thought she was just cleaning herself. Could this be mites?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

My husband noticed white poop and thinks she has worms. We separated her tonight which was heartbreaking. Anyone have any insight?

Howdy MEP2013

I am definitely no expert when it comes to what ails chickens and not being able to see your sick little gal, all I can do is offer some thoughts.

First up, have you checked out the poop chart? I recommend saving a bookmark to this one:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

I have read that it is not recommended to worm chicks until they are 14-16 weeks old and even that they may have an immunity to worms up until they are 2-3 months old (do not know if that is fact).

Yep, she could have mites, no age limit on those pesky critters!
You should be able to see the mite on her skin. Check out her tummy and under the wings. If your eyesight is good, you should be OK or if not, like me, you may need magnifying glasses.

She could have Coccidiosis and the Learning Centre has a great article on what that is, symptoms and how to treat it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

Thank you so much for your response. I actually read through both of those articles already and I still feel clueless. Now that she's separated I will be able to get a better look at her poop and hopefully be able to figure this whole thing out.
I'm going to call my local feed store where we got her and hopefully somebody there will be able to give me some clue. I'm leaning towards coccidiosis but my husband really thinks roundworm. Ugh, who knows!!
Thank you again!

If you have a Vet nearby and can take in a poop sample, they should be able to tell you if she has worms or carry out a faecal float for Cocci.

Good luck with her and I hope she recovers
fl.gif

Maybe she is not eating that's y white poop appear ,is she eating ?if not then try to give her some soft food some meal worms or spaghetti ,is she shiver if so then put her in cardboard box with heat lamp Good luck

Back
Top Bottom