I think I have egg-less chickens.

Kingsley11743

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
My current flock arrived from Meyer Hatchery on August 24, 2015. So the 12 of them are almost 6 months old. Not a single egg yet. They include 3 white rocks, 3 barred rocks, 3 easter eggers, 1 sex-linked red, 2 black australorps. ZERO EGGS!! I mean, I know it's winter, I know it's cold, but it's really annoying. I'm in Kentucky so it's not that cold & dark. I expected somebody to have done something by now.... Am I just being impatient?

Patience is a virtue - AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

All things considered, with good nutrition and no disease, cold has nothing to do with it. It is dependent on day length and more importantly, increasing vs. decreasing.
Are their combs and wattles getting larger and reddening?
Is there 3 or more finger width between the pointy pelvic bones/

In a word, yes, lol! Give them more time, they will probably start soon now that the days are getting longer and they are getting older. Do they show any signs yet like redder combs or squatting?

I brought most of my flock home memorial day weekend so late may, got 3-4 eggs over two weeks late September early October from 5 hens and then they shut down. No more eggs till I gave them artificial light a week before Christmas and then I have gotten eggs every day since New Years. They get an hour hour and a half of artificial light before natural sunrise.

Bet if you give them artificial light and I would do so gently, not 4 extra hours right off them bat, or just wait it out days are getting longer.

Mine are Cream LegBar, Delaware, EE and a late August hatch Olive Egger that started laying just a couple weeks after the others despite being 3 months younger which tells me it really was the light.

It shouldn't be long now. You need to make the nest boxes open and available for exploration. Soon they'll be romping in them, making a big mess. That usually precedes laying by a good week or two.

The days are definitely long enough now that you will soon see some action.

Back
Top Bottom