I think I have three drakes

AttilaZiggyStardust

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
First time duck owner. I just recently got three ducklings and I thought I had one drakes and two ducks. I’m seeing green feathers on the tops of all three ducklings heads. Pretty sure they are all drakes. I was just wondering since I am keeping them as pets is this going to be a problem? I don’t know if they will end up being aggressive towards each other because there is no female.

Attachments

• 99291745-751E-46F1-A1A8-493E0F4B81D9.jpeg
    99291745-751E-46F1-A1A8-493E0F4B81D9.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 29
all drake flocks are the best in my opinion, you don’t need to worry about egg issues that hens have so they tend to be much healthier
Thank you , I love them and they all seem to be getting along and healthy so far. I’ve had them six weeks now and now that they are getting their green feathers I started to worry a little bit. This makes me feel better knowing they will be fine as far as not having any females

Thank you , I love them and they all seem to be getting along and healthy so far. I’ve had them six weeks now and now that they are getting their green feathers I started to worry a little bit. This makes me feel better knowing they will be fine as far as not having any females
i have 2 girls and 3 drakes, seperated of course. but they are my babies and i could never give them up. two of my boys are 2 years old and the third is just about to turn 1 and they don’t fight except every once in a while for pecking order/dominance, but even girl ducks (and even chickens) will do that

i have 2 girls and 3 drakes, seperated of course. but they are my babies and i could never give them up. two of my boys are 2 years old and the third is just about to turn 1 and they don’t fight except every once in a while for pecking order/dominance, but even girl ducks (and even chickens) will do that
If you don’t mind me asking, how do you keep them separated? I just hatched my first flock and I cannot fathom rehoming any of them. We have a large property with a pond and the plan is for them to spend their days outside. Would that work or do they have to be separated at all times?

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you keep them separated? I just hatched my first flock and I cannot fathom rehoming any of them. We have a large property with a pond and the plan is for them to spend their days outside. Would that work or do they have to be separated at all times?
You may find that you can also not fathom the brutality of overmating. I can't. I have nothing against drakes, but I feel that female ducks deserve to be protected and drakes can permanently injure and even kill female ducks.

Most people keep 1 drake for every 4-6 female ducks. You can create two flocks and allow them outside in sessions.

I trained my ducks to come when I call them. Mine will come off our pond when I call, but most people have a hard time with that. I recommend working with them from a young age to associate a particular noise with getting their favorite treat - which will probably be mealworms. I quack, but you can make any noise you want.

you could build one run, and then have the two groups take turns who is outside in the pond and who is in the run. then you could just make one coop and put a divider in it so they cannot get to each other. drakes are the best, some people who only have female ducks unfortunately do not care about drakes. thank you for caring for yours!

you could build one run, and then have the two groups take turns who is outside in the pond and who is in the run. then you could just make one coop and put a divider in it so they cannot get to each other. drakes are the best, some people who only have female ducks unfortunately do not care about drakes. thank you for caring for yours!
Thank you so much! I absolutely love all my ducks and cried at the thought of rehoming any of them. I raised these stinkers from eggs, you best bet I'm keeping them with me!

Back
Top Bottom