I think I have to cull my hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherLynn, Aug 20, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok many posts later I am waiting on a med to come in the mail but the hen is taking a bit turn for the worse. Her foot is so swollen she can barely walk now. She is dropping weight fast. She is in a lot of pain. I mean I cut on her foot and she never made a peep. If she is making it known I cannot imagine. sigh I don't know if I can make her wait till the medicine gets here and them pray it works over the next couple weeks.

Am I horrid for asking the hubby to cull. It hurts me to watch her like this. Limping to the waterer, her wings dragging the ground. It hurts me to think of culling her too though. Give me some reassurance.
  2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    If she is going downhill, and the recovery will take too long (and/or not be guaranteed) - then yes, you should cull her. SHe does not need to be miserable w/o a real chance of recovery. [​IMG]
  3. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    yes I would agree to cull if you think she is in to much pain and not going to get any better. I also have a hurt hen I put her in a cage where she don't have to walk to get to her food and water. and nice fluffy hay to lay on ( she had a hurt leg. its been about a week. for 2 days I did not get her out then every afternoon when I let the others out she sits beside me to look for bugs she is almost better now thank goodness. If you really don't think she will get better then yes its fine to cull her but just rember its pretty sore. many a couple of days by herself would do her some good. You are there caretaker and its up to you if you think she is in to much pain and you want to end it I don't blame you.
  4. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    My husband looked at the foot and there are sores all over her legs now that were not there before. This started as bumblefoot with a single sore on the bottom of her foot. She had this when I got her and stupid me thought it was a callous. My ignorance probably made it where she did not recover. Anyway it seemed to get better and then worse, and then better and now MUCH worse very quickly. Her wings were dragging the ground. Anyway he looked at the foot and backed me up on culling. She was in a lot of pain.

Its over now though. He made it very quick. She never struggled or got stressed. Very lucky I have a husband who will do this so kindly for my hen. He was talking to her just like he does the baby when she is upset. So cried in the horse field for a half hour and now I am going to get my bator set up and put one of her last eggs in with others I got yesterday. Maybe babies will make me feel better about this.
  5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for you.

It is never easy. She is a lucky hen to come to you, for you to care so much and to try to help her, then to give her a peaceful dignified passing.

Chicks. It is amazing how much they can help heal a hurting heart. [​IMG]

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    [​IMG] Sorry for ur loss, u'll feel better after u get ur chicks.
  7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] Sorry you had to make that hard decision.
    Now be proud of yourself for doing right by your bird.
    And hug your DH for being supportive.

[​IMG] If you were closer I'd let you have a couple of 'black' d'Uccle chicks to distract you until the eggs hatch. They are adorable, crossed from my MF x Lavenders. I have no idea what they'll look like when they grow up but they are beautiful so far...
  8. beejentl

beejentl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Vacaville CA
    [​IMG] You had a very lucky hen and you have a very sweet husband. You are a kind lady.
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It never gets easier to cull a sick chicken, only worse especially if you've had them for awhile. Most likely the infection traveled up her leg and spread throughout her system and no amount of meds couldve helped. You did the right thing...I wish you the best.
  10. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Quote:I already sat cuddling the ones you sold me. The only birds I have that love to be cuddled. I should send you pics of them. You really do have some of the prettiest birds. I love these and they are at least as cuddly as a puppy. You were right about their temperment. Glad I had them today to give me a bit of peace.

I am still upset but amazingly I feel better about this. I had started to avoid the coop as much as possible. It was getting hard to face her day after day knowing she was getting worse. It was the right thing for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by