I think I just got a warning :)

speakup4kids

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Yuba City , CA
lol.png
I have two cats, one is a Maine Coon and the other is a Bengal... While my Maine Coon is pretty much a big ball of lazy fur, the bengal is the exact opposite! He is sleek, muscular and hunts constantly! We live up against open fields and have no neighbors behind us so it has never been a huge problem other than for me. I am trained as a vet tech so I just stitch him up whenever he is injured which really isn't too often.
roll.png

Well, ever since I brought home my chicks he has been sulking!
tongue.png
It is honestly cracking me up to watch him walk over to the coop and glare in then walk away... Last week I had the chicks in their outside cage while I bbq'd outside and he tried to get them through the holes. (it's a dog crate so the holes are pretty big but I only use it for supervised play) Striker, (my cat) got in big trouble and has been avoiding me ever since. So last night I went out to check on the chicks and the first thing I see is this big old dead bird on my lawn! The exact color as one of my chicks!! I just about had a coronary... I ran to the coop where all of my chicks were perfectly fine and then proceeded to dispose of the other bird. Now, call me crazy... it's been done before
wink.png
but the dang cat is strutting again!! Little snot!

My male cat is the same way, hunting all the time. But he never touches one of the chickens, I can turn him lose in the chicken yard and he NEVER touches them. When the baby chicks are in the brooder, he will lay on top of it. I am the only one he will let near the brooder at that time. Anyone else will be taking a chance of coming up with some nice bloody scratches. And my famale cat runs from anything that moves. She is a true fraidy cat. Not to much to worry about if you have a rooster, they will put most cats in their place once they are full grown.

Yep. Watch him! We have a big black and white tom that wouldnt bother older chickens but if given half a chance would enjoy hunting the little chicks...

It's funny, I had never even heard of Yuba City before I moved here 5 years ago and I have lived in Northern California my whole life!! It really is a nice little town (getting bigger!!) although it is freaking hot here!!
I've already resigned myself to the fact that my chickens will always have to be protected by a coop or in their run due to my overzealous cat! He tried to take out a coyote last winter and honestly does not understand limits!! Fear is not in his vocabulary. He does respect me and will not mess with them while I am around but would not hesitate to go after them if I looked away. I guess it's a good thing he sleeps a lot!!

I know one person that alternates free range between her chickens and her cat. One or the other is locked up. Most cats will get a life lesson from a broody hen or a rooster, some cats will just get a hunting lesson from them. As in how to be more sneaky, stealth or opportunistic.

Quote:
I do exactly that right now. My chickens are 12 weeks old, and I am waiting until they are 16/17 weeks old to let my cat out with them. I tried around 8 weeks old but he gave them a pretty good scare, so right now I juggle animals. The cat is in my bedroom from 8am to 8pm while the chickens are outside, then at 8pm I lock the girls up and let the cat out until 8am.
smile.png

You are always going to have trouble with a Bengal. They are part wild cat by breed requirements (which is why CFA does not recognize the breed). They are agressive, strong, do not fear water and have a very high prey drive.

I showed Maine Coons for years. Big lazy spoiled babies. I have a blue tabby and white right now. At TICA shows (which does recognize Bengels) the Bengals were always yowling all day.

Back
Top Bottom