I think I killed a chick by helping hatch!!!

JSartor

Hatching
Sep 17, 2020
Thank you in advance! I just hatched my second group with a broody hen. They were fertilized at different times so after the first five hatched the momma hen kept kicking the last two eggs out. I thought she was just tired of sitting so I tried to put them under another hen. One pipped but made no progress after 13 hours. I tried to help it and it appeared to be shrink wrapped but once I got it all the way out it hadn’t fully absorbed the yolk I don’t think. No put it under another broody and it didn’t make it. I am devastated and beating myself up for intervening. I never want this to happen again. Can someone please tell me - 1) should I have an incubator in case a broody kicks out an egg 2) should I have left it under another broody and not helped it hatch 3) how do know if it it truly shrink wrapped and Needs help? I believe this chick was completely viable and it was my fault it died bc I helped it out too soon. But it’s beak wasn’t pipped and I think I should have just helped it’s beak out, but when I did I noticed the membrane fully attached to the chicks upper section. I just don’t want to ever have this happen again. I know it was my fault but I’m not sure what I should have done!

Hens do kick out eggs sometimes. It's possible we might be able to intervene & save the chick, however when even the most experienced attempt this, the success rate is not high. Hens have instincts we don't have. I have put an egg back in the nest only to find the same egg rejected again next morning. Stop kicking yourself. Not all eggs that make it to hatch day will produce a live chick. That's no one's fault.

Back
Top Bottom