I think I"m loosing another chick :(

chantald

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Mid/UpState NY's Hudson Valley
I posted a few days ago. I got some bantams (4 sexed pullets) from MPC and found one dead 48 hours after arrival. They are on medicated feed, I'm watching them for pasty butt and cleaning them.. they really don't have it much... Lots of fresh water, good heat source, large pine shavings (not powdery)

This am another bantam seems in distress.. rapid breathing..

I'm beginning to worry the whole batch has some sort of disease..
sad.png

Im a newbe, so don't take what I say as gospel but does the medicated feed have an antibiotic? Im not sure if this is the correct thing to do but when I see one of my chicks look a little rough I sprinkle a little antibiotic in their water. Someone in the know should be along soon.

Did you give them electorates and vitamins in their water? That may help them a lot. The packet is very cheap and just put about 1/8 of a Teaspoon in a quart waterer of the powder stuff you can get at Fleet Farm. Good luck! I hope they are ok. Keep us informed.

Medicated feed has abx for the chicks.. but it is a very specific abx. Fleet farm? I assume it is mail order.. I don't think the chick will last the day...
sad.png

Another $8 down the drain.. I think I'll not order mail order chicks again..
sad.png

Can they get to a cooler area, away form the heat lamp? Panting is usually due to heat stress. Do mix some electrolytes in the water. Poly-vi-sol drops (not the kind with extra iron) can help a lot. Give 3 drops twice a day on the beak. If you're using medicated starter, cocci probably aren't the problem, but keep an eye out for bloody poo anyway.

If they are panting, they may be too warm. Do they have an area to get away from the light? Do you have a thermometer in the brooder? If so, make sure you check the temp in the light and away from the light. I always set my lamp so that the hottest part is 90 degrees (for the first week).

You could try to get some poly-vi-sol liquid vitamins for infants (can get at Wal-Mart) - get the one without added iron - put a drop at the edge of their beak 3 times a day for a couple of days and see if that helps.
~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom