I think I made a mistake …

Kalthia

Songster
14 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Virginia
My week old chicks jumped out of the baby pool today! It was a smaller one and they just jumped into the bigger one so we’re easily found. I had to work and saw it on the chick cam - my husband took the little pool out and now they are in the big pool.

The pool is only 10-12 inches deep and now I fear this will not constrain them until the coop is ready and they can go outside.

I was thinking I would put netting over the pool to get through the last week or so - any other suggestions?

Attachments

• DC1F21E2-71E9-4C3D-B6F5-9C3B260990BF.jpeg
    DC1F21E2-71E9-4C3D-B6F5-9C3B260990BF.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 12
They will jump out of this too, in no time. I worry about netting, because it will sag in the middle and risk the birds getting tangled in it. I'd just break apart some cardboard boxes and place them around the perimeter of the pool for a taller wall. Use duct tape to secure it to the pool, so they don't fall into any gaps between pool and cardboard wall.

They will jump out of this too, in no time. I worry about netting, because it will sag in the middle and risk the birds getting tangled in it. I'd just break apart some cardboard boxes and place them around the perimeter of the pool for a taller wall. Use duct tape to secure it to the pool, so they don't fall into any gaps between pool and cardboard wall.
Oh I like that Idea - I do have a doggie fence around it but It only goes around 3/4 of the pool. Thank you!

The cardboard surround is a great idea. You should still top it with wire or netting (if using netting, build a frame for it out of scrap cardboard to keep it taut) as baby chicks can easily jump 2 feet or more by 2 weeks.

This is what we did with ours.

It is 46 this morning - weather has been awful... what is the earliest they can go?th
they can go out when fully feathers, usually 4-5 weeks old. start taking them out for brief periods daily and have them weaned from heat by the time they go to coup. Looks like you are brooding indoors, in a cozy room. As long as they are sheltered from draft, at 2-2.5 weeks start reducing heat and work toward taking it away during the day. Goal is by 4 weeks, assuming fully feathered, they can huddle and provide each other the heat they need. That huddle box you show in the pic is great for in the coop, too
I’m sure others can weigh in with their advice on weaning from heat.

Back
Top Bottom