I think I messed up (bloody stool)

How is she behaving?

Not great. I guess I would say no different than she has been, so no better no worse.

It seems like her appetite goes up and down. For the most part she doesn't want to eat unless its the mealworms. I'm trying not to give too many because I'm sure that's pretty hard to digest. I tried offering egg again and some cooked oatmeal but she's not interested. I mixed the egg up with some water and wicked a bit into her beak.

Poop from the sickest just now. Doesn’t look like anything has improved for her.

BC11BECC-D095-4609-906C-565331148911.jpeg

Another update. I'm growing very concerned about the weight. Just 435 grams today, down nearly 100 grams from the first weigh in.

But she does seem to be feeling a little better. Poop is still liquid diarrhea but I'm not seeing nearly as much blood and as of this morning she was walking around an eating her regular chick starter. I'm not sure what to make of it, she can't survive if she keeps losing weight at this rate, but if her apatite is coming back maybe that's a sign things are improving.

I don't want to be too hopeful :(

Make a liquidy mash of plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk. Buttermilk is an excellent probiotic that coats intestinal lining, helping deter coccidia infection. The boiled rice will help settle her digestive system and hopefully firm up feces.

I think we have finally hit a turning point. Sometime late this morning she decided she was hungry and has been eating her chick starter pretty ravenously. I've had to refill the bowl multiple times and she's on top of it the instant I put it down.

I know its too early to tell but I went ahead and weighed her again... 443 grams. I'm sure most of that is food in her crop but its the first time her weight hasn't gone down since I started keeping track :fl

Her poops are still wet and have a lot of mucus, but I'm not seeing anymore blood. Very cautiously optimistic.

EDIT:
Enthusiasm. She was hardly moving yesterday.

Last edited:
Mostly normal poops as of this morning! Still some mucus but they are back to being formed, not liquid.

I am so relieved. I truly thought she wasn't going to make it. Thank you so much to all the people who provided advice. Without it, things may have turned out much worse. I'm so grateful.

@dawg53 @azygous @Eggcessive

One more question, sorry for all the pings. How long would you wait before putting them back outside? Wondering if I should I finish the antibiotics first.
Damn I’m dealing with something like this right now it suck seeing a jolly chicken go from happy the day before to being a sad lethargic chicken that doesn’t want to eat the next day

Back
Top Bottom