1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I might be feeding to much

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I have 6 chickens that I allow to free range all day. I also supply them w/ layer pellets, corn, and other grains mixed in w/ the layer pellets and corn. I think I might be feeding them too much of the mixed feed as they are not finishing it all. Because they free range all day, what is the amount of feed I should give them? All of them are hens and 1 roo.

Kim

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We just offer layer pellets free choice. I think most folks here do as well. The chickens just eat what they need, which of course varies with the season and weather and what other food they're eating. We also offer oyster shell free choice, for calcium.

Stacey

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    During the day give them free choice lay pellets and some crack corn in the evening. The corn will keep the body temperture up during the night.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I have two 7 lb feeders in the coop that I keep the layer mash in, I also have a little bin that I keep oyster shell and kelp meal in, with a little cracked corn if it's going to be a cold night and some fish meal until I find another tub to keep that in. I don't mix anything in with the regular feed except DE, so they don't get any "candy" when they want the real food and I'm not changing the nutritional balance of the main course. My girls are also allowed to free range all day.

Scratch has been tossed on the ground (outside the coop), so it's available just about any time they want it (which isn't that much). I offer them treats, which they enjoy but don't necessarily finish quickly. Their preference definitely seems to be for the layer mash and whatever they find out on the range.

Since it got cold, they're eating a lot more of the mash than they did in the summer. They'll scarf down the fish meal when it's available. The cracked corn they eat when it's cold but not so much the rest of the time. The oyster shell has to be refilled regularly, but most of the free-choice supplements are largely ignored, suggesting their needs are being met.

Personally, I think if you stop mixing the extras in with the pellets and just offer them free-choice your girls will find a happy balance, and you'll get a better idea of what they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by