I think i might have messed up,

Mutchi

Crowing
Apr 5, 2021
hamilton MT
My Coop
My Coop
It all started like 5 minutes ago, well, how do I say it, I was feeding the chickens, and a few chicks managed to squeeze thru the gate and then I whent to catch them and meanwhile, all the others were getting out and I'm just wondering if a hawk won't grab my chicks? I feel so stupid 😪! My mother will be so furious when she finds out! 😫

Attachments

• 16235086072592736981674853609088.jpg
    16235086072592736981674853609088.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
It all started like 5 minutes ago, well, how do I say it, I was feeding the chickens, and a few chicks managed to squeeze thru the gate and then I whent to catch them and meanwhile, all the others were getting out and I'm just wondering if a hawk won't grab my chicks? I feel so stupid 😪! My mother will be so furious when she finds out! 😫
The chances are against it.
Try bribing them back into the run with meal worms or some other treat they can't resist.
You have learned the futility of chasing chickens. Just don't bother.

Herding chickens is like herding cats.

Mine come to me when I'm trying to do something else. Try making noise in the area where you want them to be. Examples: pound in a nail, shovel bedding, shake the feed bucket while filling the feeder, etc. Do not look at the birds while doing this. Ignore them. Let their curiosity lure them back. Then they don't think they got tricked or caught.

Herding chickens is like herding cats.

Mine come to me when I'm trying to do something else. Try making noise in the area where you want them to be. Examples: pound in a nail, shovel bedding, shake the feed bucket while filling the feeder, etc. Do not look at the birds while doing this. Ignore them. Let their curiosity lure them back. Then they don't think they got tricked or caught.
Ok I might try that.

Spend time calling them when you feed treats, a distinctive call that means that goodies are coming! When they learn to come for food, you can call them in anytime. Chasing them makes everything worse!
Mary
I have done this with all of mine for years and can tell you it works. My cali is and has always been: Chick, Chick, Chick-chick-chick
now they will come without the treats, although they usually get at least a small amount of treats when they do what I want.

Back
Top Bottom