I think I mixed my mixed chicks.

I have two small flocks (and now a bunch of babies). One flock is run by the "red rooster" and the other by the "white rooster".
The red rooster is a welsummer/maran and his ladies include an Olive Egger, a Midnight Majesty Maran, a Welsumer/wyandotte and a 3 year old left over Freedom Ranger meat hen.
The white rooster is more of a mystery. He is a Columbian Wyandotte/Red Ranger/don't know what the mother was. His hens were bought from a man who had all kinds of chickens together. Some he claimed came from Greenfire farms. There are three black hens that are of different mixes, I believe one is a Dorking cross, one a Ayam Cemani cross and I'm not sure what the third hen is. He also has what looks like an Aracauna mix and a White Plymouth Rock.
I hatched eggs because I wanted my Olive Eggers offspring. She is such a good layer and I like her green eggs. I heard that mixing her with a brown layer would mean darker green eggs and thought that would be cool.
Anyway, I bought a bunch of bantam cochin eggs and then threw in 5 Olive eggs, one Maran egg, and one mystery egg from the white rooster. All five of the white rooster hens lay a medium sized cream colored egg so I have no idea who it came from.
The eggs began to hatch and I was certain that this is the chick that came from that mystery egg.View attachment 3078281
I figured that made sense and it could even be the White Rock's offspring.

BUT, then I realized that one of the chicks from the olive eggs has black legs (and yellow feet) and only the white rooster hens have black legs. This is that chick.
View attachment 3078283
So the two other chicks from the Olive eggs are the following. Notice the one DOES have shading on his legs.
View attachment 3078288
View attachment 3078289
I am 100% positive that the last two chicks shown are from olive eggs. There was another chick that looked just like the last one shown that didn't make it.

Am I right to assume that I mixed up the chicks and the one with the black legs and yellow feet had to have come from the white rooster hens?
I 👏 your ❤️ for your chicks!! Maybe you made a new breed! Maybe it's a mutt. I love my dog and she's a mutt too.

Back
Top Bottom