I think I ruined my turkeys

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
I am trying to get them to roost in the trees. Since they were little they would go in the covered run with the chickens. They would either fly up into the coop and lay on the floor or get into the rabbit hutch (used for baby chicks, injuries, etc.) They are getting entirely too big for the hutch. I should mention that I have 11 turkeys. 2 standard BB are 5 mos.--2 BR's are 4 mos. and 7 Black Spanish that are about 2 mos. Right now they get on top of the hutch but soon they will be too big for that since there is not much head room from the hutch roof to the chicken wire that encloses the top of the run.
We tried moving them out to a tree but no luck. The BB literally fell off the branch like a sack of potatoes. But a BR and a few of the babies did O.K. That was one night though. The next night was a chore so we gave up on moving them to a tree again. My question is "what do I do at this point?" I'm trying to move them over to the other side of the run (top NOT secured yet) with a roost and try to get them to roost there. But there is no cover yet. Will that matter to them? Are the BB too big to even fly up to a roost or do I need to make steps for the lazy birds? Sorry for the story. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is our first year with turkeys even though I have 3 full mounts in my house and a lot of beard trophys. Shhhhh......they don't know that.

We sort of have the same problem. DH thought they'd just go roost in our trees (Russian olives), a couple of them have some low slung branches. They didn't even stay one night. I've had to block off the deck, otherwise I wake up to giant piles of turkey poo. They frequently roost on the steps up to the deck.

My turkeys like my pine trees, but they didn't start to roost in them until the ground got wet and cold, I've got some youngsters won't go near the trees yet, they are less than 6 month old, one thing I did do last year, was get rid of all the low roostes that they could use, cages,boxes ect....

Need to build them a ladder like you would a chicken in the hen house. Plus on the BB's you need to let them exercise their wing muscles so they can fly up, you do not want to exceed about 6 feet for the BB's as much higher and they will start breaking legs and what not when they get older.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad this is something common. We did put the 7 younger ones on the roost. 4 ft high mind you. One fell off (would not get back on), one flew to the top of the other run that is enclosed and the rest crowded on one end of the roost.
roll.png
Not the smartest are they? Or do they require constant (repeated) reminders on where to go? Like BBC said, when the ground gets cold and wet they will roost where I want them to.
idunno.gif

Harp, I figured some one would second the notion to install the steps for the heavier turkeys. Will do.
If they weren't such social birds (we really enjoy them) I would be hoping that a flock of wild turkeys would come by and all of mine follow them off into the sunset. However, I really don't want that to happen, yet anyway.

My turkeys are 5 wk old and roost as high as they can. I have 8 the other night all I could find were 2 . I could here them then I looked in the rafters and there were the others. As high as they could get. 2 of them like to perch on my shoulder when I am in there yard. Not bad now but what happens when they grow up.

One question How long will it take to fether out ? 5 wk now.

Quote:
They are about to enter that ugly phase for the next few weeks. Wher they feathers out more, some times it takes another 4 to 5 weeks before they get to looking better

As far a perching on your shoulder, learn to duck.

The adults will fly towards you, nothing like the excitement, first time a 25 pound jake tries to get on your shoulder.

We no long allow poults to get on our shoulders.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom