1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

I think I turned the tables too much for meanie-jeanie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stonerowfarm, May 12, 2009.

1. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    When I first got my chicks they were about 4-5 weeks old. I had a huge problem with one being so aggressive she would bloody anyone and everyone within minutes. I took the advice to separate her, still with everyone else but caged separate.

Well now everyone has fully feathered and when I try to put her back with the other chicks they attack her. This is more than just pecking, it is several birds going at her at once.

Now what? She loves people and loves to be held, but with the chicks her own age there are problems. I also have adult hens as well as juvenile mille bantams. Last night I had her in the adults' run and she seemed to get a little freaky, climbing onto my shoulder. They didn't seem to mind, but she was nervous. Then I put a large cage next to the bantams run and the roos were doing their dangest to impress her. She didn't seem nervous, but I would worry about putting in a full size (albeit young) hen in with them and their little hen.

Any suggestions?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Do you have an empty dog crate or some such you could put her in so the others could see her but not attack her? That might be your best bet, until they get used to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by