I think I want frizzles.

This is the part I was talk about. This is not my word cut and pasted

Read the last pargraph. And as far as been old

Copyright
00a9.png
2008 (cut and pasted)

breed smooth ( a bird that is out of frizzling parentage
not a straight which has no frizzle genetics.) to a frizzle (full blown feathering that is frizzle)
will give at least 1/2 frizzle and 1/2 smooths and NO curlies ie extreme frizzle.
Now when one has bred frizzle to smooth for several yrs at least 5 YES you can breed smooth to smooth
and get some frizzles. Small percentage.
The smooths have a modifier gene for frizzling it may be recessive but it is there.
now when breeding a straight feather bird ie: no frizzle gene to a Frizzle( full blown frizzle feathers) you will get a percentage of frizzles and the smooth only have 1/2 frizzle gene in F-1
so then you can breed the frizzle back to a frizzle for about three yrs and in the 4th gneration stop breeding frizzle to frizzle. The genes are set and dominant, in the f-2 & f-3 generation all smooths are getting towards full frizzle genes modifiers.
you see they only pick up 1/4 frizzle genetics each generation.
do not breed back to a straight as it demerits the frizzle gene and adds more straight feathered genes in the pool.
As for male and female it does not determine the sex just the amount of frizzling.
to those that have not bred frizzles and kept records as I have well I guess you all just got to take my
word for it. The original question was:
If I breed a smooth frizzle to a frizzle will I get a curly or a regular frizzle?
I'm wondering since the smooth frizzle already carries the frizzle gene.
Answer
No you will not get any curly's ie extreme frizzles. You will only get frizzle FF & smooth ff.
so go for it. extreme frizzle ie: curlies are birds that the frizzling has been done for several generations and has made the frizzle feathering tight narrow and wet looking. and the birds may not even have 25 feather folicle holes to grow feathers. a waste of space and money and got to be disposed of. neither heat or cold can it withstand.

Glenda Haywood

Quote:
That last stuff has nothing to do with any university -- it's just some sort of notes added on at the end by somebody name Glenda Haywood. And if you'll notice, they're not talking about "plain" frizzles -- they're talking about SMOOTH birds (birds that have the mf modifier gene). The results of breeding birds WITH the modifier gene is very different than breeding birds which may well NOT have the modifier.

breed smooth ( a bird that is out of frizzling parentage
not a straight which has no frizzle genetics.) to a frizzle (full blown feathering that is frizzle) will give at least 1/2 frizzle and 1/2 smooths and NO curlies ie extreme frizzle.​

so then you can breed the frizzle back to a frizzle for about three yrs and in the 4th gneration stop breeding frizzle to frizzle. The genes are set and dominant, in the f-2 & f-3 generation all smooths are getting towards full frizzle genes modifiers.

and this part means this is cut and pasted

Last edited:
You still don't seem to be understanding that this Gena person isn't talking about any old frizzles. What she's talking about only works IF you have frizzles WITH the modifying mf gene. And most people aren't going to know whether they have the mf gene in their birds or not.

but you can breed them together. If you know what generation your birds are. I am not saying you will not get a frazzle. You don't seem to understand. I have talked to a few breeders and they say that if you know were you birds came form it can me done. But yes most people don't know there bird parent or grandparents.

Quote:
That's the essential point. You keep telling people that they can safely breed their frizzles together -- but it's actually only safe (and even then not totally safe) IF you know the genetics of your birds. And most people don't.

I never did say anything about not knowing what generation your birds are. But I like to know all the facts. Don't go around tell people it cann't be done just you have to be careful. Know what you are doing know were your stock comes form. But thank you anyway for all your information. It's nice of you to try to protect people and there birds. And please don't drive drunk. lol

Back
Top Bottom