I think I'm addicted...

kareninthesun

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
to waiting until nightfall and picking up the 6 week olds. I love the way they go all soft and relaxed, how you can feel their heartbeats. Their feathers feel like the down on a baby's head, so soft and silky. Am I loosing my mind? My friends laugh at me. Me. I'm usually logical, practical, but darn it, when the sun is unfurling neon ribbons, the backdrop of the sky collecting stars is purple, when the kitchen is squared away, everything else on temporary hold, it feels right to just... stop. Smile as the young ones gripe at having to go up into the top of the coop, but like children, I can almost hear them yawn. Their bodies tell the truth. Tuck them in, and know that this part of chicken rearing will be gone in the blink of an eye.

Just like kids. I laugh, listening to them communicate, bicker, look for the right spot to settle down for the night.

Wasn't it a few weeks ago when I was watching the first pip?

In retrospect, yeah, they are JUST chickens. Compared to my children, there will be no communications over doing homework, cleaning rooms. No requests for borrowing the car or waiting impatiently by the clock on that first date.

But...by choice, they are my responsiblity, and whom knew the perks, the connective force right in my face of seeing that one egg holds a promise of discovery which I never knew of when shopping at the grocery store?

And who knew that this even changes my prespective of the old question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Last edited:
You put into words what a lot of us feel, but don't really acknowledge. Somehow everything seems "right" with the world, when I am in my self-created little chicken world.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes it does seem crazy, but maybe we aren't the crazy ones
idunno.gif
But my question forrr scientific reasons
wink.png
are we crazy people all the same with the love of wildlife?

Quote:
You got it! So when did my thought process turn? I think it was when the question came to mind of what came first, a chicken or an egg - WHEN I palmed an egg in my hand, about a week before hatching. Couldn't get that question out of my mind as I left noseprints on the plexiglass, watching the eggs move, listening to their voices before hatching, as the very first pip appeared. And I had my answer when, in wonder and awe as that tiny pip marked a trail much like a map. I find myself proud as I let the youngest out to free range for the first time. Watch for their reactions when birds fly over, and inside I'm high fiving myself as if their passing with flying colors had to do with me teaching them anything. It is just a chicken whom teaches me.

With a kinder eagle eye I make sure that the pecking order which needs to be re-established isn't going out of control. When they wander off, no longer close to where I stand, I bite my tongue, chastise myself for being overprotective, demand that they have to be JUST chickens, these feathered ambasitors of goodwill, these flocks whom can feed the world without being fussed over. It is JUST these chickens whom waddle over to me, turn their heads, shine a gray eye towards my face as if measuring if I'm worth investing a few moments of time with. It is JUST these chickens whom serve as feathered invitations to children to come play, can pop out eggs faster than radishes can grow, can turn a surely child's whirlwind of trouble into visions of gentleness and soft voices.

They are less JUST chickens as I am less JUST human. It is the interacting which answers the question, chicken or egg.

That's soooo exactly how I feel putting my 2 month old Cochins and Silkies to bed at night! They're all chattering and fussing in their covered run because they want shut up in their big dog crates. The coop is done now but they're still so little and are used to their dog crates. As soon as it gets under 105 around here I'll go to the trouble of teaching them to go to bed in the coop. They're so tired and floppy, it's the most adorable thing! Each one gets a kiss and gets told to get a cold drink of water when I put them in there. Oh.My.God. They're so cute!!
You mean I'm sane???? Woo hoo!

Quote:
You got it! So when did my thought process turn? I think it was when the question came to mind of what came first, a chicken or an egg - WHEN I palmed an egg in my hand, about a week before hatching. Couldn't get that question out of my mind as I left noseprints on the plexiglass, watching the eggs move, listening to their voices before hatching, as the very first pip appeared. And I had my answer when, in wonder and awe as that tiny pip marked a trail much like a map. I find myself proud as I let the youngest out to free range for the first time. Watch for their reactions when birds fly over, and inside I'm high fiving myself as if their passing with flying colors had to do with me teaching them anything. It is just a chicken whom teaches me.

With a kinder eagle eye I make sure that the pecking order which needs to be re-established isn't going out of control. When they wander off, no longer close to where I stand, I bite my tongue, chastise myself for being overprotective, demand that they have to be JUST chickens, these feathered ambasitors of goodwill, these flocks whom can feed the world without being fussed over. It is JUST these chickens whom waddle over to me, turn their heads, shine a gray eye towards my face as if measuring if I'm worth investing a few moments of time with. It is JUST these chickens whom serve as feathered invitations to children to come play, can pop out eggs faster than radishes can grow, can turn a surely child's whirlwind of trouble into visions of gentleness and soft voices.

They are less JUST chickens as I am less JUST human. It is the interacting which answers the question, chicken or egg.

Beautifully stated. Exactly.

I know how you feel. I just collected our first egg after work today, and it made my whole day. I put it up here, on Facebook, called my mom, my sister, a lady who owns a shop next to ours. And to think I'll probably find another one tomorrow!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom